Group Buy: Sig556 Redrilled Gas Valves | Page 7 | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Group Buy: Sig556 Redrilled Gas Valves

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by Z32MadMan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Z32MadMan

Z32MadMan Member

Still doing these in my spare time as needed. Send me an email with inquiries.
    Chris

2. PGT

PGT Member

Hey Chris....do you just adjust the port size or are there new positions? Seems the latter would be hard on these.

3. Admiral Bosch

Admiral Bosch New Member

Chris, I just sent you an email. Money was tight for a long time and now I'm finally going to get this rifle running the way it's supposed to. Thanks for doing what you do.

4. JM1914Tn

JM1914Tn New Member

Resurrect an old thread. You still offering the gas valve mod?

5. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

Instead of just telling Chris in email how it went, I'll help bump this thread and promote it.

Mine arrived while I was out of the country, opened boxes last night and was happy to find it. Installed and went to the range today. In the rain. I asked for:
    • Position 1 — Suppressed (0.8mm/0.031")
    • Position 2 — Improved Normal (0.9mm/0.035")
    He tweaked it:

There are two other settings opposite, I guess that's what it came with from the factory? The plug came in the original SIG parts bag (made in Israel?), re-taped together. Finish very good, pretty black, instead of the silvery bare metal (?) of the 556 one. Was a bit tighter than the 556 plug, so I had to clean and lube to get it on.
    2019-07-05 09.08.16.jpg

And... it works like a charm! Smallest setting (straight up, as seen here, marked A?) is just barely underpowered for no suppressor. Locks back on an empty mag, but doesn't eject. Do not do this. Cases can get sorta stuck when you try to clear it.

At second setting, no suppressor, it's clearly working right, as brass all falls about 5 ft away, at 2 o'clock. A bit sharp on what I believe is mechanical (bolt moving) recoil still, but it even did this on the not-enough-gas setting. Is there a better buffer out there? I run buffers in a lot of my guns, got some trial ones even back when Larry Bullock (buffertech) was still with us, big fan.

Now, with the suppressor and on the lowest setting... beautiful. Might as well be shooting a .22LR. Hardly any recoil, noise, etc. ONCE out of 100 rounds or so today, prone, I got a tiny bit of gas face. And, was in glasses, not shooting glasses/goggles. So, it's brilliantly better than any of my ARs, or any other gun I have. Love it, makes me love the SIG556/551 even more.

The detents seem mis-cut. Not from Chris, but from the factory. It snaps between the two new settings, but you can go off the edge of the second setting, and remove the gas plug without pressing the detent down. This is not correct, right? Any easy way to fix it (deepen the detent), or just not worry about it as it shouldn't get bumped in practice?

6. BennettBuilt

BennettBuilt New Member

I am
    looking for an OEM gas valve does any one know where I can find one.

7. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

check out gatewood as it looks like they are cannibalizing guns and selling the parts.

8. DragoM

DragoM New Member

New to the forum and not sure if this is even the right place to ask this. I have a P516 that I've been trying to run suppressed using a Sig SRD556 suppressor. Even on the smallest gas setting (suppressed) it appears terribly over gassed. Ejecting at 1:00, slamming the carrier and 3% of the time lifting a round out of the magazine as the BCG runs back. Then when it goes back, it jams the new round into the bore at an angle. This stops the action with a bent live round part way into the bore.

Anyway, found this thread and wondered if a new gas valve can be plugged and drilled with smaller set of ports. Pix below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I called Sig and the rep could not tell me the port sizes of the gas valve for the 516 (16" version). He did give me the part number as 1702325-R

[​IMG]

Just wondering if the OP is still doing plug & re-drill work.

9. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

This thread is addressing 556-series valves.

DragoM likes this.
  10. DragoM

DragoM New Member

Thanks. Not much activity here. Chris answered an email I sent to him.

"Thanks for the email.

Unfortunately I can only help with 556 rifles, I do not have a 516 around to facilitate port alignment or any data for choosing port sizes."

I kinda figured that when no one answered my question it was the wrong forum. I did find a gas valve with smaller port sizes.