SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Do you like the AFWS front sight

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I would like to change ??? ( please post)

Griffin Tactical AFWS revised (SIG mounting)

8K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  zedkelvartis 
#1 ·
Everyone,

Here is the Advanced Folding Weapon Sight for SIG 55X rifles. The model shown is for AR style rear BUIS. However I am going to have a similar version that will align with SIG 556 rear BUIS. I have made some modifications based on the previous posting. The sight now uses a standard AR front sight post. This will allow the customer to choose any type of AR front sight post ( fiber optic, Tritium, or other styles). You will notice the front sight is still knob adjustable with the AR front post.

Please tell me what you guys think. I am going to have the first prototype started next week. If all goes well I should have them available some time in December.

As always Thank You!

See less See more
#8 ·
Looks great! The only thing I am not excited about is the thumb wheel for the sight elevation. Wheels can tend to be bumped or otherwise moved. I'd rather have one that turns by allen wrench, unless you haves some sort of lock on the wheel?

Also, not sure about that bolt that sticks out a little far on the left. Can that be trimmed down?

I love the fold down design and hood! Definitely interested in a rear sight to match.

#17 ·
Hey Kas, Great job and look forward to your new project. 8) The only thing I see I would consider doing in addition is, I would even up the look of the left push button release to match the look of the right side. I know it has to stick out, but make a similar shaped plate to resemble the shape and form of the right side. It's not really necessary, but it would have a little more uniformity looking down the barrel. As for the rear sight, if you can pull off what MFI can't, I will be a faithful customer also. By no means do I knock MFI, I like his rear sight set up. But, if he can not make it and you can then so be it. Also, I do like the retro look and the blend of function you added in adjustment ability.

#26 ·
Sir, I have your charging handle and love it, thank you!
But I dislike sights like this one and like the Samson front sight that also has a circular hood with elevation adjustable post for this reason:

I naturally center the front circle in the rear aperature. This works well if the front post is perfectly centered in that front protective hood. But since the front post is elevation adjustable, it rarely is centered. For the life of me I cannot seem to center the post in the rear aperature at speed when there is a circle shaped front hood.

With a Troy front sight that has the hood wings splayed out to the sides, I naturally, instinctivly even, focus on centering the front sight post in the rear aperature.

IMHO, circle front hood sights work well if the post is fixed in dead center of the circle and the entire sight is moved for adjustment. If the post is independently adjustable, I'd suggest a different hood design than circular.

Just trying to provide useful feedback to assist in your obvious pursuit of design excellence!

Blaze

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.