Greetings from Texas!! | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Greetings from Texas!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by moovimn, Aug 7, 2020.

1. moovimn

moovimn New Member

Bought a Sig 556X45 NATO Patrol Classic a couple of years ago, but have yet to fire it. Not sure how hard it is to clean and wonder about receiver damage from bolt after several rounds.

Attached Files:

2. Millerdaga

Millerdaga Member

welcome
    [​IMG]

moovimn likes this.
  3. moovimn

moovimn New Member

Thanks!

4. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

What receiver damage are you referring to?

The locking area of the front trunnion is the trickiest part to clean, but these guns don’t get super dirty.

moovimn likes this.
  5. moovimn

moovimn New Member

I read somewhere that the bolt action as the gun is cycled can cause some deformity and damage on the right side of the receiver. Something people referred to as a bump from the bolt slamming back over and over.

6. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

They may be referring to the rear edge of the channel that the cocking handle rides through. In my experience, this is not caused by normal operation, but by the BCG moving rearward when the upper is not installed on the lower. Under normal conditions, the lower stops the BCG’s rearward movement before the handle contacts that edge.

moovimn likes this.
  7. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

Why would the BCG be running back and forth with the gun not assembled? I am certainly guilty of running the action after cleaning the gun, and the design of these guns allows you to do so with only the upper.

The only receiver damage I have seen under normal operating conditions is finish wear where the brass bounces off the gun, and a small contact patch on the inside ceiling of the receiver, presumably from the carrier bucking upward during it’s rearward travel.

I encourage you to shoot your gun, regardless of what wear may or may not occur. Only an elite few of these guns have real collector value, and you’d know if yours was one.

moovimn likes this.
  8. moovimn

moovimn New Member

Hi, really appreciate the info and analysis. I know my 556 is just the last of the recent Sig productions of that model, but was just a bit worried. Thanks for easing my mind a bit, will get it out the range perhaps next weekend, thanks again!