SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out walking with my 12yo daughter and the Zombie Apocalypse came up. She has watched several zombie movies and finds zombie defense an interesting subject. (I will be waiting for the dad-of-the-year nominations from you all. :lol: )

Anyway, she came up with a truly unique idea: what would make a good zombie defense pet! She has ruled out anything that primarily attacks with fangs, the blood is likely to infect the pets compounding the problem. So why not zombie defense ostriches? They attack with their feet and are potentially lethal. I really could not find a flaw in the argument. They are fairly easy to come by, are relatively easy to care for compared to other exotics that fit the same profile like elephants and are not too deadly to keep around.

I am so proud! :shock:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aren't ostriches already Zombies? :p
An ostrich Army of Zombie exterminators.. :shock:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are on to something. Maybe I will pitch it to a Syfy channel exec! It certainly would fit in to their made-for-TV movie genre that they have been airing!

I think Austrailia needs it's own version of "Black Sheep". If you are not aware, there was a very funny New Zealand zombie sheep movie. It is a zombie comedy classic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ftboomer1 said:
So why not zombie defense ostriches? They attack with their feet and are potentially lethal. :

emu's
there are probably still a large amount of them that are still out running wild from when they were turned out when the speculative market on them fell out. they're a but more aggressive and apparently kick even harder than a ostrich.
neighbor used to have one that he picked up for a small amount of money, and let me tell ya, that bird would put most people back up into a truck. in fact that emu chased a city worker back over the 5' fence he hopped to read the meters.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think it would be hard, or impossible, to train an ostrich. They would probably flee and leave you high and dry at the first chance. How about elephants? They are very social creatures, intelligent, and trainable. you could simply sew a bunch of moving blankets together as armor against bites and scratches and putt cool weapons between its tusks like the oliphants in LOTR: Return of the King. Or have it gore and crush the undead.

I would also think that a virus based zombie transformation would not harm animals...at least, initially, until the virus mutated. But, let's take the science(y) approach to its extreme: the virus would probably kill off all humans before it could mutate or there would be some people with a natural resistance and would not become zombies when bitten/scratched. They might get eaten but the virus would die off and leave resistant humans (who avoid getting eaten) alive or leave extremely remote populations alone, like the Inuit or tribes in the Amazon, bedouins in the Sahara, etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Kangaroos, they are fast and semi-trainable. They have large claws on thier forelimbs and one huge claw on their hind feet. The claw on the back feet is used to disembowel other creatures. And they have a place to store extra ammo!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is quite the gorey claw! Maybe that could be augmented with a steel spur similar to gamecocks. Hmm, I sense another movie...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ostriches are aliens, and as such, will not fight the zombies, they'll just fly away to whatever planet they come from along with llamas.

Kangaroos are the far better solution, if they get surrounded they can jump on top of all sorts of stuff to get away and their kicks will send an entire group of zombies flying.

I'm not sure if they could be trained to understand the idea of headshots though.

A smart fast well trained dog could be an excellent decoy to bring zombies into places where they could be easily slaughtered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts