SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears as if there is going to be an Appleseed event in my neck of the woods in the near future and I'm looking forward to attending.

My issue is I want to assert myself as a decent marksman by using a good set of irons (I still sport the factory popsicle and hoooded front sight) and the best performing ammo possible.

To date ( 1 1/2 years now) I have only used 55 grain PMC and some surplus that have satisfied my weekend plinking requirements, but I would like to get some input as to which manufacture/grain you, my fellow 556'ers, have had the most success with out to 300/500 yards.

As far as the irons go, I know I can use the search funtion so no big deal (my former laptop died w/ one of my saved favorites "Ullie's Irons", miss that thing :lol: )

Thanks for your help gents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just read an article about this course online today. this month they are having an appleseed marksmanship training course on post this month.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I happened upon them in Shotgun News and followed up. Spoke to a gentleman who coordinates events in the state of Florida and it just so happened he was checking out a range not too far from my house the next day (last Saturday) to see if it rated an event. Seems like things are GTG for a shoot sometime in the early fall.

It's in Volusia county for those interested

Just trying to get some personal opinons on what shoots best , 55, 62, 69, or 75 out of a 1/7 16" barrel out to 300/500?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had very good results with 68 and 75/77 grain OTM. If you don't hand handload, try the Black Hills and Hornady loadings in those weights.

Leb

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks LB. I don't hand load (yet) so I'll run w/ your input.Ultimately it comes down to what my rifle loves to eat the best and that's up to me to find out. Just trying to get a baseline for now to save a some time and money.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can save some money on Black Hills ammo by buying their factory reloads. It'll be a little cheaper than buying their new stock. IIRC it comes in a blue box instead of a red one.

Some of the other folks on the board, like Zeus and Skypup have had a lot of success with Privi Partisan's 75 grain OTM offering. Take a look at the Ammo and Handloading sub-forum. Lotsa good load data there.

Leb

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Leb. Checked it out last night. Great stuff. Should have thought of that myself. 'Appreciate the input.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
LebbenB said:
I've had very good results with 68 and 75/77 grain OTM. If you don't hand handload, try the Black Hills and Hornady loadings in those weights.

Leb
...good advice...stay with the longer / heavier bullet weights and use good quality ammunition...i was able to shoot "some" ~1 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 / 300 yards using Black Hills 77 grain Sierra MatchKings...scoped and rested...i got similar results with Federal's Premium Gold Medal Match...with the 77 grain projectiles...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm going to take my Sig to the Appleseed in September. I just ordered a set of Aurora sights for it.

I plan on using either M193 or M855 depending on what I can get cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts