SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new green classic came in and I'm swapping parts off of the SBR, which will be sold and when I get to the front sight, I cannot get the damned thing to come off. It has the silly pin through the nut on the base of the sight. I tried using some small allen wrenches as punches but they end up getting bent up and the pin doesn't move. Suggestions?

I don't mind the sight but I really want to keep the Samson folding sight on the 556 I'm keeping.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i took mine off a couple weeks ago.. i used the blunt end of a small drill bit to push the pin out. if it doesn't move after a few taps.. try from the other direction..

i used a couple wooden chopsticks from my favorite sushi take-out place to push the sight out once the bolt/screw was off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get a good steel punch of the correct dia. and you should be GTG.

I used a steel punch and had to straighten it several times before the pin came out.

If you think it is difficult to remove the pin, try to install one. I never got it all the way in and had to cut off about 3/32 of an inch. It was through half of the nut and into the screw, so the sight could be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
rainman74 said:
Get a good steel punch of the correct dia. and you should be GTG.
...try some CLP...let it penetrate a while...or WD 40...etc...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
spray well with CLP, let it soak at least an hour, then what I did was to use a wood block and a heavy jewelers hammer - I tapped lightly (and about 1,000 times) and it eventually moved out of the block and fell off. This was done with the entire weapon stabilized, especially the gas block.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good suggestions-thanks guys. I ended up cutting a tiny nail in half to make a punch. That drove the pin out quickly. The sight itself was moved all the way to one side of the gas block and I started tapping it with a rubber mallet to get it to budge. It was not moving easily at all. The whack that ended up taking it off broke off one of the sight's dovetail edges all the way across. Site is off of the gun but is now a paperweight.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was whacking the side of it right next to the dovetail. I live in a condo and have no blocks/ vices/ etc. to really work on anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts