SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new completely tricked out FNP-45 Tactical. These are for the high-speed crowd. Look closely at the last two pictures -- you can see the electric eye...:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Wow that little sight system looks awesome for fast target acquisition. It looks to be specifically proprietary to that pistol. I'm off to the FNH site............

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say the FNP shoots very similarly to the XD-45s I own. Similar recoil, and similar accuracy, with the FN holding a slight edge with the longer, better stock barrel, and longer sight radius. The FN also holds one more round, and feels bigger in the hand, and the checkering on the grip is easier to grip.

I think these are both superior to the Glock in a double stack .45, since the Glocks are much wider to grip (forced by the thickness of the polymer mag coating). I do not like the Glocks as a result, even the new 21 SF -- and I hate the Glock goal post sights (curable but at a cost). But that is just my impression of the Glock...your results may vary.

Once you add in the ability to mount a mini-red-dot sight, the FNP .45 Tactical is the clear winner.... I think it is going to revolutionize the handgun industry at the commercial level because of the ability for a regular gun owner to mount a MRDS without any gunsmithing skills. It is an absolute game changer -- let there be no doubt.... 8)

Nothing on the market commercially available off the shelf at its price point at present can touch it once you put a Docter on it. Nothing. Compare for yourself.

For a tactical or personal defense handgun, at its price point, right now it rules the kingdom as the newly crowned king. In all seriousness...and in my honest opinion.

I still really love my SIG P220 Platinum Elite (best fit by far) and it totally trumps these guns in quality (it should, at almost twice the price of the XDs; the FN is close to the P220 PE in price, and very close in quality, but you get three mags and a really top notch Eagle Industries Case in the deal), but alas, like most 1911s, it only holds 8 rounds....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cool, thanks for the detailed report. Yeah I have shot two different P226's and also cleaned one of them a few times. The quality is really nice. The things I don't like about them is the grips are fat, slide is really high and the triggers are on the mushy side... Plus I don't like the placement of the slide release... but they are all ergo issues and personal preference.

I haven't shot a 220 before but I've held one, the grip is much thinner, which I like a lot. But like you said... the capacity... not so great. Of course you don't hear a lot of actual real world scenarios where a 1911 didn't get the job done.

I have a CZ SP01 and love it to death... Weighs about .5 pound more than a p226, but the recoil... is super low. The low bore axis helps a lot with that. It just points awesome for me too, better than any gun I have ever held. I've got about 1000 round through it, with no malfunctions of any kind. I wish they would build one with an aluminium frame... that would be sweeeeet... They have a polymer one... not a polymer fan...

·
Registered
518 Posts
That thing is sweet-looking. I have been thinking about another .45; my 1911 is fun to shoot but for a truck gun it is too expensive to knock around and does not have enough magazine capacity for my taste.

I've been looking at the FNP-45s and have been thinking of this one in particular. I've got two questions:

1) Can the holo sight be removed? I would honestly prefer the tactical model without the holo but I'm sure I'd just as soon get used to it.

2) Are there any holsters for it?

Great looking gun!

To Clyde:

I have a P-01 and an SP-01. I love them both and they are my favorite guns. I too wish they would go aluminum with the SP-01 rather than polymer. My P-01 is great and it is an aluminum lower; CZ has proven they can do that...I'll give their polymer guns a little more time before I jump on board.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Crossbreed makes a FNP 45 holster. I have shot the FNP 45 and love it. If I had a closet full of SIG's and FN's I would be a happy man :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Muad'dib:

The FNP-45 Tactical actually comes without the mini-red-dot-sight (MRDS) installed. The milled slot on the slide is covered with a color-matched anodized plate that is removable and can be reinstalled. The gun comes with two steel adaptor plates, one for the Trijicon RMR series of MRDSs, and one for the Docter MRDS. You can remove or install them in about a minute with just an allen wrench (a gun vise helps a lot if you do this alone) - piece of cake.

BladeTech makes a holster in Flat Dark Earth that can be spec'd for the gun.

I put mine in a Blackhawk FDE tactical ballistic nylon pouch designed for a pistol with a weapon light -- no one I could find is making that kind of holster yet. I have heard that Safariland is in the R&D phase on that now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Clyde,

I'm thinking of putting on the Streamlight TLR-2 on my FNP-45 as well. Do you have any trouble reaching your fingers to the controls of the light? That trigger guard is LOOONG!

This might be a dumb question.....does it matter which finger you use to control the light switch? Does it have to be your trigger finger? I'm right-handed and the trigger finger (index) on my right hand has to REALLY stretch to reach the controls.

However, my index finger on my left hand has no problem b/c it's closer to the controls. I'm basically wanting to know if this would be a proper technique...both index fingers stretched out while holding/aiming the gun.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm freakin' green with envy... No kiddin'! I agree with Clyde. As a Cop, I believe, law enforcement agencies will start issuing these type of sights in the not too distant future. When I say not too distant future, I mean maybe 10 yrs. Holographic sights, red dot sights, whatever you want to call them, really seem to improve a shooter's ability at fairly close (Inside 25 yds), rapid shooting. These sights also allow the shooter to focus on the target and not the sight.... Now, focusing on the target and not the sight may seem bass-ackwards to some but, when the SHTF, it is only human nature to focus on the threat (Especially at close range). [/i]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Clyde said:
Muad'dib:

The FNP-45 Tactical actually comes without the mini-red-dot-sight (MRDS) installed. The milled slot on the slide is covered with a color-matched anodized plate that is removable and can be reinstalled. The gun comes with two steel adaptor plates, one for the Trijicon RMR series of MRDSs, and one for the Docter MRDS. You can remove or install them in about a minute with just an allen wrench (a gun vise helps a lot if you do this alone) - piece of cake.

BladeTech makes a holster in Flat Dark Earth that can be spec'd for the gun.

I put mine in a Blackhawk FDE tactical ballistic nylon pouch designed for a pistol with a weapon light -- no one I could find is making that kind of holster yet. I have heard that Safariland is in the R&D phase on that now.
Clyde,

Can you send me a link to where I can find that Blackhawk FDE tactical nylon holster? Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaron:

Sorry, been busy at work and haven't had time to post in awhile.

On your question about the Streamlight TLR-2 and activation, I actually can reach it with my trigger finger, but that is not how I activate the switch. I use the thumb of my left hand, which is easiest given how I grip the gun with my support hand. Try it, I think you will find it works very well.

The Blackhawk FDE holster is actually a clearance priced item. It is on sale for 50% off, for only $17.49! They actually call it Coyote Tan. You may want to jump on this...pretty sure they are not going to last long. Here's the linky:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE ... 5,1452.htm

TVChance -- I agree with you -- these are superb for quick target acquisition and would serve our police/LE officers and soldiers very well. BTW, I see more manufacturers adopting the idea -- Glock has a mount out now that slides into the dovetail on the slide for the rear sight -- mounts a Trijicon RMR MRDS. You can see it in the new 5.11 Tactical catalog or on their web site -- it is right on the home page in the animated screen when you open it up:

http://www.511tactical.com/Shop

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks a lot Clyde. $989 later and I'm the owner of a FNP-45 Tactical. Picked it up at the range the other day. Every time I tell myself I don't need another pistol and then log into one of the forums and I get the itch again.
Actually this is one of my finer purchases. As you have said, this baby is sweet. Looking at red-dots now.
Thanks for the nice review and pictures. It defintely worked on me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts