SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to change the signature line again -- went by my favorite gun store -- owner was there and says "You like SCARs, right?" and I say "Bought your last one you had in here" and he says "Have you seen the black one? I just got one in." He goes into the back (which I swear must be like a trip to Fantasy Island for most gunbuying customers) and comes out with the unmistakable plain brown cardboard "SCAR Gun Box" (clearly printed on the bottom side now); slices it open and there it is, the perfect specimen of a carbine, resplendent in black, and this time, the rail upper matches all the shiny black polymer. I'm slackjawed....

So, long story short, I had really been after "SCARZilla" which is my nickname of the soon-to-be-released SCAR 17S in 7.62/.308 (which my gun dealer knew all along). So I tell him I want to sleep on it, but he offered to put it in the back for me, no deposit required (he knows how to punch all the right buttons), and says to let him know.

I muster up all my will power and decide I will wait for SCARZilla, but I wanted to tell him in person, so I go back the next night so I could let him know, and make sure SCARZilla is still in my future. So I explain, hey, I already have two FDE SCAR 16Ss (I know, it seems extreme, but what the hey -- I own three SIG 556s - it is a SIGness) and I want to wait for the 7.62 big dog.

So he tells me more about the 17S, that he spoke to the FN rep, and that the first run is going to be all black, apparently since they have ramped up to make the black 16Ss. I say great, because I really wanted a black one, but I was thinking it might be cool to have a FDE 17S to match the twin 16Ss.

Then he says "well, why don't you buy the black 16S, and then match it up to the 17S when it comes in?" Somehow, his logic seems irrefutable.

Again, I (much more reluctantly now) resist and say I'll pass. Then he says "OK, no problem -- thanks for letting me know -- I'll put that one on the shelf then." I turn to walk away, relieved and yet somehow unsatiated.

Then he says "You want to see it one more time? You held it so long last night I think it started calling you Daddy!" I wheel around and say "Yeah, let me see it one more time." He grins, that knowing grin, kind of like the one I get when I have the fish in the boat and I'm about to put it on ice in the fishbox.... Out comes the box, and I'm in big trouble -- this irresistible tractor beam begins to pull me in.... So, mustering up my last ounce of self-control, I stammer "Can you do any better on the price?"

He frowns, that sort of "now you are gonna make me do some math I don't want to do" frown, but he walks over to the computer and starts poking around. He comes back and drops the price $150 but says "it has to be cash and carry, no credit cards..." (he has to pay 3% to the banks). And then it happens -- words come out of my mouth that seem to have developed a life of their own somehow "will you take a check?"

Bodda, boom, bodda, bing -- paperwork clears, cash register goes "cha-ching" and he is doing a little mini-jig happy dance, and I am grinning a key-lime-pie-eating grin from ear to ear. Out the door I go, box in hand and race back home (and I do mean race).

This morning I get up, and I go down to the safe, and pull out the box, and there it is, shining like a metallic black knight on horseback on an ancient battlefield. God must love guns and beautiful women, is all I can think of. It is a true Kodak moment, and time stands still for a few seconds.... I guess I am now SCARred for life. I love this great country of ours. And that resplendent black SCAR -- well, I have a new favorite weapon of choice - Son of SCARZilla! 8)

I've just gotta find a cheaper hobby....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh sure, you can sit back in your easy chair while I run around taking pictures for your entertainment -- next you'll want me to toss you a beer! :lol:

All kidding aside, pix are coming -- need to add the accessories I want to add to it (I already have them, just need to install them tonight) and then a nice sunny spring day for the right lighting...and voila!

Then of course I will have to figure out how to use Photobucket :oops: so I can upload them, but hey, other than that, it is simple!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Clyde said:
Oh sure, you can sit back in your easy chair while I run around taking pictures for your entertainment -- next you'll want me to toss you a beer! :lol:

All kidding aside, pix are coming -- need to add the accessories I want to add to it (I already have them, just need to install them tonight) and then a nice sunny spring day for the right lighting...and voila!

Then of course I will have to figure out how to use Photobucket :oops: so I can upload them, but hey, other than that, it is simple!
German beers would be preferred, thanks. Oh, and can you use something other than photobucket, DoD blocks pictures hosted there. Thanks, :lol:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: FNH Black SCAR 16S -- Son of SCARZilla!

Clyde said:
Then he says "well, why don't you buy the black 16S, and then match it up to the 17S when it comes in?" Somehow, his logic seems irrefutable.
Great line.

Congratulations.

3 SCARS? Is your wife real understanding or do you just confuse her (like I try and do) by telling her its the same gun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a very loving and understanding wife -- she just looks at me, shrugs her shoulders and says "What am I gonna do with you?"

I shrug my shoulders, and say "I don't know -- but you gotta love me, I'm the hubby!"

She laughs, then smiles, and says "I'm going shopping!" Several new outfits, bottles of makeup, a new hairdo, and at least two pairs of shoes later, almost all is forgiven.

Oh, and I go buy her flowers for no reason at all...not just a dozen roses or a nice bouquet -- I go to the local plant nursery and come back with seven or eight pots full of daffodils, or one of her other favorite flowers. And then I dig the holes wherever she wants to plant them....

After that, I get to sleep in the house again. No more garage floor for me!

Oh, and three SCARS -- there are other guys who own two, and want a black one. At first I thought something was wrong with me...but now I know I am not alone -- there are other guys who have lost all their marbles too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Elnonio wrote:

German beers would be preferred, thanks. Oh, and can you use something other than photobucket, DoD blocks pictures hosted there.
Mmmm, German beers...only thing better is some sexy blond German fraulien...carrying a whole armload of steins containing German beer. Rocktoberfest is still the best!

So, which one of you forum member computer whiz kids knows how to post pictures without using Photobucket? If you tell me how, I will try to accomodate....

I have the Son of Scarzilla almost ready for his photo op computer screen debut -- he is already sporting a new black GripPod and Streamlight TLR-2 weaponlight/laser combo.

Still trying to decide on the optic...will be done tonight...!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Clyde said:
So, which one of you forum member computer whiz kids knows how to post pictures without using Photobucket? If you tell me how, I will try to accomodate....
Don't worry about that. I just have to wait till I get home. Photobucket is still your best choice.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Clyde,
You dont REALLY need 3 SCAR's do you... (using jedi mind trick :shock: ) You want to send one to Geardo :shock:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho, you think you can use your Jedi powers on me.... Those only work on the weak-minded, and people who plan to vote for Obama again.

I suppose you're right -- I don't REALLY "need" three SCARS.

It reminds me of a line from one of my favorite former car shows (why SPEED took it off the air is still beyond me) -- Dream Car Garage.

One of the hosts used to have a segment where he would drive around in a dream car, and then he would say "So, you gotta ask yourself -- do you really need a car like this? Don't be stupid - no one NEEDS a car like this. But do you want a car like this? Oh baby, I want a car just like this!"

Need? Nah. Want? Some days, more than anything else I can think of!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Clyde how do you feed that arsenal? :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One round at a time, but I buy them all in bulk if I can!

Here are some pictures of Son of SCARZilla, as he currently is configured.

I had to take these pictures indoors using a flash so the quality/detail is not as good as it can be outdoors -- I was just trying this as an experiment to learn how. I will post up some better pix once the sunlight decides it is actually Springtime!

·
Registered
216 Posts
very nice.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, nycstripes - having seen your collection of weaponry, I appreciate your comment very much.

Your race sportbike is pretty cool too, BTW. I was admiring it for awhile when you posted it...really well put together track day bike! I own a 2008 Kawasaki ZX14 Special Edition, a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, and a 2008 Kawasaki KLR650. My favorite hobby, riding motorcycles...it's all so zen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts