·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the FN pistol. 5.7x28mm

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fast, flat shooting, very good accuracy.

Long range for a handgun. It will reach out accurately to 50 meters plus depending on the shooter.

Layman's terms...feels like a 22 mag, goes through like a 223.....

Ammo dependent performance.

Polymer...like a Glock. Probably indestructible but not enough torture tests out there to know for sure.

SS197 makes devastating work of human head sized cantaloupes at normal self defense ranges.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I have found out. I bought one Sat. From a pawn shop ( new ) for 1,039. Very accurate with factory sights don't really like the tall front sight as it seems to want to catch on clothing. It's not my everyday carry gun so it's not that big of a dael. I hope ammo prices come down, they are close to 223. I did buy 500 rnds from sportsman guide for 209.00. I told my wife I bought it for my 556 cuz it was lonely and didn't like my Kimber 45. So far I love it

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the pleasure of firing one from an LEO rep a few years back. From sandbags at a bench 100 yard hits on 8 inch plates not a problem 9 of 10.
Close range penetration was a bit much to say the least but the ammo was FMJ/AP/Incendiary/kills tanks type ammo that he had brought along.
At the police olympics that year did have issues with the timer stop plates had a combo of mild steel pistol only and the polymer/nylon type. Shoot the course last round shoot the plate to stop the clock. Finally had to stop the clock manually the rounds would go through the plates without knocking them down or registering on the sensors, but again few years back FMJ ammo much better ammo selection now.
Congrats on your purchase would be great gun to play with.

Reactions: gecko9

·
Registered
524 Posts
my buddy just bought one and we put 100rds through it flawlessly!

absolutely zero recoil!!!

the first few rds that you squeeze off are very low on the paper. then you quickly get used to it. the tricky part was switching back to a .45's grip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the low shot placement. I am used to putting the target on top of my sights. I have found I need to put the front dot covering the spot I wish to hit. It is a blast to shoot. I wish I could get some AP ammo

·
Registered
216 Posts
I developed a respect for the cartridge after firing the P90. I would like to have a pistol chambered in that cartridge someday, but will wait until they have another design for the gun. I am not a fan of the looks of the Five-Seven pistol.
Good luck with yours. I hear people are happy with them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
lenardlex said:
The Fort Hood shooter's devastation was performed as I understand with a pair of 5.7 handguns.
no, a single one (plus another gun....a 9mm or revolver...can't remember for sure). He was using 30 rd extensions which lead to the jam that gave LEO the chance to take him down.

I bought an FDE 5.7 two months back. Ran 100rds through it today.....LOVE it. Added a LaserMax UNI-G on the tack rail. Tiny, light and useful. That said, I think I shoot better without it but for SHTF use at home, its nice to know its there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are there any handguns out there that will actually take a 556 round? That would be nice for a number of reasons, chief among them only having to buy 1 kind of ammo for your Sig rifle and your backup / sidearm.

·
Registered
176 Posts
lavaspit said:
Are there any handguns out there that will actually take a 556 round? That would be nice for a number of reasons, chief among them only having to buy 1 kind of ammo for your Sig rifle and your backup / sidearm.
Yes. The Sig P556 comes to mind.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As does the Keltec PLR-16, the Vector V-53, and a host of other AR15 platform pistols.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes, I realize without a buttstock that s a pistol. Im talking about a handgun in the traditional sense that takes a 556 round. Similar to the FN mentioned above.

·
Registered
176 Posts
lavaspit said:
Yes, I realize without a buttstock that s a pistol. Im talking about a handgun in the traditional sense that takes a 556 round. Similar to the FN mentioned above.
Nothing yet...the 357 Magnum is about the largest from a dimenson standpoint that fits in what could be called a "hand"gun.

There are others, but they are revolvers, and usually rare one-offs at that.

magnum Research 45-70 revolver for example.

someone made a prototype 50BMG "handgun" at one time, too.

The 5.56 is a pretty long cartridge for a handgun. You're talking 45mm in case length, compared to the 5.7x28mm...

The 5.56 has an overall length of 57.4mm....

A 357 Magnum round is 40mm overall and exhibits nowhere near the pressures and forces of the 5.56 x45 which is a true rifle round.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes it would have to load in a completely different way, ie at an angle or something, to keep the grip form being that wide. 22LR handguns are handy I bet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
lavaspit said:
Yes it would have to load in a completely different way, ie at an angle or something, to keep the grip form being that wide. 22LR handguns are handy I bet.

Theyr'e a lot of fun....probably a good survivalist sidearm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts