SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the configuration I have envisioned. I finally got together the money for a new Trijicon TR24G. I have the Larue mount waiting for it for a couple of months now. Here she is.

Had to modify the foam in my storm case to accommodate the new optics.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice! :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nicely Done C Swimm! I like it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately I had a tactical shotgun match on Saturday that went all morning. I got the scope after the match, and by the time I got it home and mounted the range on post was closing down for the day. They were closed Easter Sunday too. They are open today (Monday), but I am all by myself at work today since my lovely co-worker decided she didn't want to come in today. Seems to be her typical Monday thing now. So no chance of me taking off a couple hours of leave this afternoon to hit the range. I am pissed. She keeps doing this because we have more work to do on Monday than most of the rest of the week combined. Man She really pisses me off. She doesn't hardly do anything when she is there but yak or text on the phone or surf Craig's list like some kind of e-bag lady, but someone has to be there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems ok here in the house but the real test will be on the range. Going to Knob Creek on Saturday, so maybe Sunday I will try it out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice looking rifle. :!:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Chris,

First of all, congratulations; that is a sweet looking machine!

I have also been looking at that scope and have a couple questions if you don't mind.

* I see you picked the triangle post reticle, did you also look at the TR243G?

* Have you tried it in low light? If so, how does the tritium-fiber system work?

* Since you got the true 1X, do you think it will function well in place of a red dot?

My primary application is hunting hogs, but there are so many 3-gun and other competitions here in the DFW area that I'm tempted to start training.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best,
=Mark=

·
Registered
216 Posts
nice job!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Chris you doucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! My spre mount has been gathering dust waiting for my 24g. Tell me that baby isn't sweet as hell. Mark, when I was playing with the tr24 german, I really did not like how small the illuminated dot was. Low light in my opinion is extremely good and the green is the fastest color to pick up in low and bright light. The 1x is not true 1x around 5ish yards or less, it is more like 1.5. I will be grabbing the triangle post for the following reasons: Triangle, big object for quick acquisition, triangle for precision (tip zeroed for 100yrds). Annnnd I just like it. If you google "TR24 review" you can find different pics and opinions of both models as well as the different colors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark said:
Hey Chris,

First of all, congratulations; that is a sweet looking machine!
Thanks.

I have also been looking at that scope and have a couple questions if you don't mind.

* I see you picked the triangle post reticle, did you also look at the TR243G?
No, I was pretty much sold on the post/triangle from the beginning. I tried out a guy's TR21 at a 3 gun match and found the post/triangle to be very quick and easy to use.

* Have you tried it in low light? If so, how does the tritium-fiber system work?
Just in the house looking around the room. I think the tritium and fiber optics illumination is about as close to perfect as you can get. The fiber optics automatically adjust the reticle brightness for the existing light condition, but it still has a manual override to adjust it down if you think it's too bright.The tritium seem dim at first but it is clearly visible in the dark without being too distracting when looking for targets in very low light. The only downside is the tritium will eventually get dim.

* Since you got the true 1X, do you think it will function well in place of a red dot?
I don't see why not. Just looking around with both eyes open with it seems fine, but very close objects have slight magnification. not enough to make it a problem in my opinion though. The real test will be this weekend at my next 3 gun match.

My primary application is hunting hogs, but there are so many 3-gun and other competitions here in the DFW area that I'm tempted to start training.
3 gun is a lot of fun. I highly recommend you try it out.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best,
=Mark=
You are very welcome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scooby&thesig said:
Chris you doucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! My spre mount has been gathering dust waiting for my 24g. Tell me that baby isn't sweet as hell. Mark, when I was playing with the tr24 german, I really did not like how small the illuminated dot was. Low light in my opinion is extremely good and the green is the fastest color to pick up in low and bright light. The 1x is not true 1x around 5ish yards or less, it is more like 1.5. I will be grabbing the triangle post for the following reasons: Triangle, big object for quick acquisition, triangle for precision (tip zeroed for 100yrds). Annnnd I just like it. If you google "TR24 review" you can find different pics and opinions of both models as well as the different colors.
I shot it at the range the last two weekends and really love the triangle. It is big enough to pick up easily but very precise with the scope zeroed at the tip of the triangle. The triangle is also very sharp and although it can get very bright it doesn't lose it's sharpness like the recticles in an aimpoint or EOTech can when their brightness is set too high.

The glass is amazingly clear and sharp. I like it so much I just ordered an Accupoint TR23-2G 5-20x50mm for my M1A.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chris and Scobby,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have been agonizing this scope for way too long and need to make a decision. I hear you on the chevron, it looks really fast, but still seems odd to me. Agree on the glass though, unbelievable clarity.

One last trip to Cabela's to review both and it's time to pull the trigger!

Cheers,
=Mark=

·
Registered
285 Posts
C Swimm said:
I shot it at the range the last two weekends and really love the triangle. It is big enough to pick up easily but very precise with the scope zeroed at the tip of the triangle. The triangle is also very sharp and although it can get very bright it doesn't lose it's sharpness like the recticles in an aimpoint or EOTech can when their brightness is set too high.

The glass is amazingly clear and sharp. I like it so much I just ordered an Accupoint TR23-2G 5-20x50mm for my M1A.
Glad to hear a after shooting review. I think if trijicon put ranging lines across the "post" that would be the icing, as I think the scope is fantastic. If you can post some power pics looking at the same object that would be great. Annnnd one more thing...... can you weigh your setup? I am curious to see what it weighs now. Good luck on your match man!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on this puppy. I ended up going with the TR24G, which has the green triangle. That reticle looks fast, fast, fast! Sealed the deal when I found online for $680 + $11 shipping and $0 tax.

Going to mount on a LaRue LT-104, which arrived today with a whole bunch of extra goodies. Props to Mark LaRue for such great products and service.

I'll post pics and a range report soon. Thanks for the help guys!

Best,
=Mark=

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, no 3 gun match for me today. We had some pretty severe weather roll through here today. Not sure if the match was canceled or not, but I wasn't going to drive an hour and a half in pouring rain/severe thunderstorm and tornado watch for a match that was most likely not going to happen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts