SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stripped it down and stripped all of the paint off of every peice. Added the scope from my 17 HMR. Covered it in Rust-olium camo brown. Sponged it with camo green then black then tan. I finished it off with Krylon Matte Finish.

I will add a bi-pod later.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like this much better than your last effort. Somehow I think you might be encouraged to do this at least once a year...no need to answer yet, you seem to come up with some very interesting schemes.
:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Any chance you could post a little 'how-to' for preparing, painting, and stripping a firearm? I've considered painting mine, but I'm pretty sure I'd goof it up without some good advice.

Looks fantastic!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sarge,

yeah I like this a heck of a lot better then my last, but my first I have to say I liked the best.
1st

2nd

jalso,

My first time painting I just used rattle cans. Rust-Olium "camo" paint green, brown, black, and tan.

First you want to clean the whole gun, taking out all the inards... field strip. Get rid of all the lubrication on the outside. Then I used the blue painting masking tape to cover the places I did not want to get paint on, like the ejection port, inside the gas block up front, the vent holes in the Troy Battlerail, Eotech lens ect...

After that it's pretty much up to you on what kind of pattern you want.

I started out with all green on my first paint job. Then I added brown with a stencile of a evergreen branch. The I used mesh as a stencile for the tan. I didn't use any stenciles for the second paint job. For the third I covered the whole gun with brown. Cut up a NEW sponge into diferent shapes. I sprayed the paint into a bowl for about 10 seconds. Dipped the sponge and just dabbed it on the gun. Using the green first, the black and finally tan. Each using a different sponge piece for each color.

That was it! I waited about 10 minutes between the colors on each side. For the last two paint jobs I finished it with Krylon Matte Finish, also in a rattle can.

This paint will wear off with use! Not by much though. Only in places where you touch it the most. If you want a paint job to stay, go with Duracoat. I haven't tried it but some others have with great results.

My next rifle, hopefully a FN SCAR or maybe another SIG556 I will use duracoat to paint it. Not sure how or what I'm gonna use though.

I have only stripped the paint once. I got a stripper from Lowes and went to town. It was VERY messy and I had to wear a mask, goggles and cemical gloves. I had to take out the trigger mech to get out all of the crap left over from it. I don't recommend it, but it got the job done. But there are better ways. A couple three cans of brake cleaner and gun cleaning brushes work better to get the paint out of the small places. It really will take a couple cans to get the job done if you have to strip the whole gun.

If I have missed some thing please ask!

I would recommend spraying some thing else to find what you like BEFORE you spray your gun.

Geardo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts