SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating getting a .308 for some long distance plinking. Nothing to strenuous and for reliability/durability the only semi-auto .308 I really trust are the M14 and the FAL. Now I could go buy a slicked up M14 but thats just not exciting me. AT ALL. So I'm heavily leaning on the SA58 and I wondered with that 21" barrel, what kind of range/accuracy can be expected?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got several FALs including a Belgian .308 Match that will shoot sub MOA if I do my part.

Overall though, I'd expect 2-4 MOA as typical. Plenty-O-accuracy for what it is intended for...rarely will you find a tack driver in this design.

They are a beautifully engineered rifle that to this day is my favorite overall rifle design of the post-war era. I doubt you will be disappointed if you make the plunge.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
hrgrisso said:
So I'm heavily leaning on the SA58 and I wondered with that 21" barrel, what kind of range/accuracy can be expected?
...if i could only own one "battle rifle"...it would be a FAL...and i would choose a DSA over any others...lot's of info on FALs on this board...i would read it...

...you can expect to average about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 MOA with "good guality" ammunition...and possibly a 5 shot 1 MOA group using match ammunition every once and a great while...depending on how you are set up...the practical range is determined primarily by the barrel length and the particular cartrage you're firing...ie ...exit velosity...the ballistic coefficient and such...you're looking at about 600 to possibly 800 meters or so...properly scoped and rested....pretty much the same as any out of the box battle rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ullie - its actually your suggestion of the FAL that has me thinking about it. Friend picked up a bull barreled DPMS, Another picked up a FN FNAR. Both are AWESOMELY Accurate. Scary Accurate actually. But I'm not sure I would trust them in a more serious role. Hence my thought regarding looking more at the FAL and was wondering about the accuracy of the rifle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts