SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very little practical experience with scopes but have been reading a bunch lately. One topic that confuses me is eye relief. Since I first read about it I thought it was the max distance your eye could be from the back of the scope and anything *further* would distort the image. I assumed you could get as close as you wanted. Today while reading some posts at AR15.com someone made this comment:

"TRIJICON TR21R almost perfect, except for the 5.5" eye relief. I shoot nose to chearging handle, and even
with the excellent Larue SPR-E, it was impossible for me"

Wouldn't 5.5" of eye relief be amazing? Has my understanding of eye relief been wrong this entire time?

·
Vendor
825 Posts
There are some scopes, meant for pistol, that have extra long eye relief.

If you put your eye close on a long eye relief eyepiece, the image will not appear to fill the entire scope eyepiece, and you are wasting some of the light that the scope is gathering, since the projected beam of light is bigger than your pupil.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aubie said:
I have very little practical experience with scopes but have been reading a bunch lately. One topic that confuses me is eye relief.
...Aubie

...eye relief is the "optimum" distance from the ocular lens to the shooters eye in which you have a full field of view...that is...one that is not occluded...ie...as you move your eye fowards...or rearwards from the optimal eye relief point...you have a "porthole effect"...that is...a dark circle will begin occluding your field of view as you look down the centerline of the scope...

...low power variable scopes in the 1.1 - 1.5 to 4x/5x have an eye relief range roughly of about 3.5 to about 4.5 inches....as a rule...the greater the magnification...the less eye relief you have...and the lessor the magnification...the greater the eye relief...

...you'll should be just fine with any of the branded...good quality low powered variable scopes on your 556...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts