SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
2Loud4You said:
Wow, I really thought I'd get some kinda comment about my gargantuan thumb operating the safety from those who complained about the safety!
It is humongous. You need to have a doctor take a look at it.

For the record, I'm on the side of those that can't operate the safety with the rifle shouldered. Actually, I can, but in one direction only (Safe to Fire) but not back, whereas on my (oh lord, here goes) AR15 I don't have to give it another thought (and in fact I don't).

· Registered
51 Posts
elnonio, I can't flip the safety UP to Safe with just a thumb flick but from Safe to Fire, no problem. Guess I should join SmokewagonOKC's tactical unit, I'd be the man! Just kidding Smoke, I still don't see how you can't even touch it but I'll take your word for it. It appears that my thumb is 2 1/4" if I measure from the webbing of my hand, I don't think that makes it abnormally long but I guess some guys just can't reach their safety. Maybe someone will come along and help you guys out, until then I'll keep the world safe for you...errr, off Safe for ya.

· Registered
17 Posts
2Loud4You said:
Wow, I really thought I'd get some kinda comment about my gargantuan thumb operating the safety from those who complained about the safety!
My thumb sits even farther forward, I had to pull it out and look myself. With the selector in fire mode, the handle points right at my knuckle. So i don't have any problems turning the safety off either.

I wear large or sometimes extra large gloves, so I don't have the smallest of hands.

· Registered
111 Posts
i noticed this at the range, sitting, bipod, looking down scope my thumb wouldn't reach w/out rotating my hand to the left.

put caa grip on tonight but need to size it up a little better still, its solid on there and can see the benefit now that i swapped grips.

how many sigs have been sold in US? CAA makes that interchangable grip for AR and AK, it's not profitable to sell if for sig rifles?

· Registered
105 Posts
Re:

AFkiwi said:
The only way I can flip the safety off is rotate my thumb around the grip to the right and flip it down, then re-establish my thumb on the left side of the grip. It's not terrible, but definitely not ideal, I support a more ergonomic upgrade.

BTW ppl who can rotate the safety normally have to have huge hands or freakish long thumbs.
I have SMALL hands, girlishly small actually (dont make fun of me, please) and I can reach the safety no problem, whether standing, kneeling, prone, with the rifle shouldered, doesnt matter. Some of the people complaining about this are probably more experienced shooters than I am, but I still have to say, people commonly make the mistake of holding the pistol grip wrong, with the trigger resting in the crease of the first knuckle, rather than on the pad at the end of the finger. This causes a few problems with trigger pull, but would also rotate the hand so that the thumb is farther away from the safety. Perhaps this is the cause of this issue for some? Again, no disrespect intended, but its the only thing I can think of, because I havent met many guys with smaller hands than me.

elnonio said:
2Loud4You said:
It is humongous. You need to have a doctor take a look at it.

For the record, I'm on the side of those that can't operate the safety with the rifle shouldered. Actually, I can, but in one direction only (Safe to Fire) but not back, whereas on my (oh lord, here goes) AR15 I don't have to give it another thought (and in fact I don't).
I will admit that I have this issue as well, but never felt that altering my grip to turn the safety on was a problem.

· Registered
96 Posts
I have very large hands and I cannot operate the safety without twisting or repositioning my hand, either to switch from safe to fire which is a bit easier than fire to safe.
So is there a fix for this?

· Registered
78 Posts
I can't reach the safety with the rifle shouldered with my hand positioned in a manner that would allow my trigger finger to engage the trigger properly. If I "cheat", and rotate my hand around I can reach it...but....then I have to rearrange my grip for trigger work. I have the same problem with FAL type rifles.

My solution is to flip the safety off while the rifle is still in the Low Ready position right before I shoulder the weapon for action. Your finger shouldn't be inside the triggerguard until you're ready to fire anyway.

I also re-engage the safety with my trigger finger (once it comes out of the guard I use the "top" of my trigger finger to "bump up" the safety therefore re-engaging it).

· Registered
11 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has come up with a solution yet. With all the 556s and 552s on the market now, I am surprised no one is selling an aftermarket grip. I tried out an ER the other day and was able to reach the safety fine due to the different grip/stock profile. However, I still can't reach it with my Patrol. It really is a frustrating situation to have a superior rifle with a less than optimal grip.

· Registered
6 Posts
Ended up building my own from aluminum billet using a drill press and a 2 axis drill press vise with carbide router bits for tooling. Works great and makes my 556 a pleasure to operate. If you build one make it both longer and wider at the rear so you can thumb it easily and use gloves. Wheeler creamic coating gave a much better finish than tha hi-temp black paint I first tried. When I get some time I'll post some pics. Tiger

· Registered
11 Posts
This is really driving me nuts. Tiger, pics of your creation would be great. Maybe I can find someone around here to fabricate one for me. Or if anyone has pointers on how to modify a grip, I'm listening. Otherwise I'm gonna have to sell this rifle and buy an AR with a safety I can reach.

· Registered
63 Posts
No problem going from safe to fire. I honestly don't understand how anyone can not do this...
Fire to safe, yeah, have to move my hand for it.

Could someone that has trouble with this take a pic of their mutant hands trying to take off the safety? LOL

· Registered
8 Posts
This is my first post so I hope the picture comes out.
Are you talking about this ?

Me and my son made this up . It was one of the last mods I tackled .I am left handed and the origional wasn't going to work. Not only me but non of my friends could take the safety off in position.

It is made out of ABS plastic on a CNC plastic Extruder.

It works very well . You can take safety off with tumb and have trigger finger in ready position. Not only that , but you can take the safety off with the stock folded.

I was going to post more Pics of my 556 but, I just though I'd start with this one since it came up again.

Rich

Attachments

· Registered
156 Posts
TwiztidKlownzTX said:
No problem going from safe to fire. I honestly don't understand how anyone can not do this...
Fire to safe, yeah, have to move my hand for it.

Could someone that has trouble with this take a pic of their mutant hands trying to take off the safety? LOL

Just for S&G, post a picture of you manipulating the safety with the rifle mounted....

to your left shoulder.

· Registered
8 Posts
Here is a picture of my mutant thumb .I am in shooting position but it was hard taking pic with phone in other hand. The problem seems to be the folding hinge .It makes my little short thumb spread out too far. I tried a 556 swat the other day and I seem to be able to thumb it.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.