SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
So, for Valentines day the wife got me a $50 gift certificate to the local gun shop... yeah I know I'm lucky! I picked up an ERGO grip to see if I could do it... and I DID :idea: ... kinda. It's still little loose and needs some more TLC (dremel). But I put it on painted it and took a pic for you guys. But I didn't get any pics of the work, sorry. :cry:

I drilled, then matched it up. Did some more drilling then tried again. I made a complete mess! It's was fun! :lol:

I also removed the velcro, thanks to Zues. That was a pain in the ass. I used fingernail polish remover to get all the nasty stickyness off and also removed half the paint from the right side of the upper! But as you can see I repainted it :lol:

This was a cheap and easy project I knocked out in like 30 minutes. Any questions? I won't bite!

Geardo

·
Registered
591 Posts
is that an AR grip? I'm considering a similar project

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it is. Plastic and rubber.

Started out just like this. I used a dremel to shave off the places that needed to. Once I got it to fit I drilled a new hole through the hole in the lower reciever and screwed it in. I had to flip the screw and nut, but it works

·
Registered
591 Posts
sweet! I just ordered this one...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on! I will probably get one of those as well. I just wanted to try it out before I layed down some money for a good grip.

Good luck PGT!

Just remember, cut and fit, cut and fit, little bit at a time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OUCH!

So, I decided to see if the grip would hold because I had to drill a new mounting hole in it... NOPE!

Well, that was a waste of only $20... and my pinky. I smashed it on the stock after it snapped off.

I liked the feel of it too... dern it!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Dang. I bet the CAA will hold up better. I see a few members have it and have heard no complaints.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think perhaps a fender washer or two would have helped distribute the load

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zeus...

Yeah, that's what I'm gettin next. This ergo grip is pretty much all rubber. So I think I might have pulled it a little too hard. My pinky is now blue under the nail... :cry:

PGT...

Yeah, I think that might have worked but I didn't even think of it... oops!

Well I learned from this and will apply what I learned next time I do it. :idea:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dude your gana loose that nail. Unlessssssssssssssssssss you take a uber hot pin and melt a hole in ur nail so the blood will shoot out. Orrrrrrrrr since you like tools, drill a hole. That's what hospitals do, and my time life "self surgery" Bob Vila book says it too. Just sayin :roll:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not that bad, like a sharpy make on my nail thats all. Not a bad I dea though Scooby!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Gotcha. Quick thing about that caa grip. My wife has it on her ar15 and we noticed one thing right away. The compartment door is the most crapiest thing I have ever seen as it will fall off with slight shock. A piece or two of electrical tape on the edge to make it snug was a easy fix, but I wouldn't fully trust it to hold anything. Hopefully they addressed this but I kinda doubt it. I have handled a good amount and they were the same. Other than that it is a great customizable, comfortable grip. I personally have been curious about the magpul moe grip as I like the miad feel but am a little hesitant about drilling a hole and it breaking. Then I would be kinda assed out... Probably with a hurt finger.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks scooby! I will have to wait a while before I go "gripping" again. I need to get a ton of ammo and mags for the spring and summer. I plan on goin shootin alot. And taking pics and videos each time.

When I start g"gripping" I'll let everyone know what I find out. I plan on gettin at least a couple of them to find out wich one is best.

I picked up some o-ring to see if I could tackle the rattle for now. I also got some claer finish for my paint job.

·
Registered
591 Posts
a 522, but, you get the idea....CAA grip

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for posting. I was going to try this with an Ergo grip too, but am leaning toward a Magpul MOE grip now.

I was also considering epoxying a small tube inside the top to act as a shaft for the new screw hole.

I thin the Ergo deluxe grip might be a good choice for the 556 DMR project I have in mind.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I ordered the base for the CAA. Not exactly the same but darn close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SGT_geardo I had the same problem with trying to get the CAA pistol grip installed. Fortunately I didn't have it rip off and get hurt like u did, that sucks, but I did screw up the grip in the same fashion. I might have dremeled too much or might have drilled the new hole a little bit too wide. Everything fit perfectly but when I tightened up the screw it kept going until the nut ripped it's self through the plastic making it useless. I can try putting a little washer or something in between the hole and the nut at the end of the threads, or try again with a new grip but I'm going to cut my losses and keep the standard grip until they start making aftermarket ones specifically for the sig. I might even get a hogue slip on rubber grip like some other people have done.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I'm gonna wait until I can get the CAA then try hard NOT to mess it up. The ergo was just an experiment. I was pretty sure with its RUBBER it wasnt gonna be that solid.

BUT, when I get the CAA you can be damn sure I'm gonna do it right. And post some good pics of the work!

Geardo

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just got my CAA in tonight. Haven't bothered cutting it up yet but it's beefy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts