SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What options do I have for sights when using an EOTech..I know the Magpul MBUS wont work with the Sig front sight. Will the diopter sight work with an EOTech?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only sights which will cowitness, which is what I'm assuming you're after, are any pic rail mounted BUIS for an AR on the rear, and either the Samson or the Midwest Industries on the front.

The rotary diopters and any other of the Sig factory style sights are too short.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...i recomend using a Samson Sig specific folding front and an ARMS 40L SP for the rear or a Troy Industries AR height folding rear battlesight...when in the up position...your irons will appear roughly in the center of the Eotech's optical window and in the lower portion of the Eotech's optical window when using the Eotech models that have the 7mm raised base...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I asked the question incorrectly. I guess what im looking for is..... What sights will not interfere with the EOTech? Iron sights should not be noticed when using an EOTech..I am not familiar with the term co witness but I am assuming it means using the sights and the EOTech at the same time. If so then that is completely not the question I meant to ask

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
bigtrey37 said:
What sights will not interfere with the EOTech? Iron sights should not be noticed when using an EOTech..I am not familiar with the term co witness but I am assuming it means using the sights and the EOTech at the same time. If so then that is completely not the question I meant to ask
...you are correct...you should NOT co-witness with your iron sights when using a reflex or holographic sight...never !...it defeats the advantages of using such an optic...

...the iron sights i noted will NOT produce any clutter in your optical window...they will "fold down" and out of the way...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8393

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8452

·
Registered
139 Posts
ullie said:
...i recomend using a Samson Sig specific folding front and an ARMS 40L SP for the rear
I just installed these and have the EoTech 512 on the Larue QD mount. When they are folded down they are below the window of the EoTech and not visible. When unfolded they are visible in the lower part of the window and can be used without removing the EoTech. Great combination.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...rainman74

...that's a great setup...the Larue QD mount raises the Eotech an additional 7 mm above the rail...not needed though...even with the Eotech mounted directly onto the rail...without the Larue QD mount...you would be GTG...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey ullie thanks for the info bro. So I guess I can't use the diopter, and if I replace the rear sight then I must replace the front too. Right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
No, co-witnessing does not mean using your iron sights and your optic at the same time.

Cowitness simply means your optic is mounted on the same plane as your iron sights, allowing you to aim through your optic when using your iron sights.

So, in a SHTF situation, when your EoTech batteries die and you don't have the time to remove it from your rail, you can flip up your iron sights and see them through your optic glass.....

Of course you don't turn your EoTech on and try to line up the hologram and the irons...good grief, but I guess since I didn't specifically say use folding sights, which I figured was so common-sense that it didn't need to be said, that's what did me in huh?

:roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
i simply made a taller front sight blade that folds as the original front blade did....it works with a troy ind. rear sight.....when folded it is out of sight in the 512s window...works perfectly and appears to have been issued with the rifle....

black sheep

·
Registered
176 Posts
black sheep said:
i simply made a taller front sight blade that folds as the original front blade did....it works with a troy ind. rear sight.....when folded it is out of sight in the 512s window...works perfectly and appears to have been issued with the rifle....

black sheep
That is a great idea. 8)

Have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some pictures of the sight built by black sheep. Cell phone pics, not the best, but it gives you the idea. A lesson in simplicity. Looks good to me, and can "co-witness" through an optic. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts