SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another trip to the range today and my 556 swat classic ran flawlessly.

I noticed that brass is ejecting at the 1:00 direction sending it about 20 feet.
Usually that means the gun is over gassed. Could I have the port in extreme condition setting and not know it?

When I put the gas rod back in and the cap it took me a few tries to get it in the 12-6 position and was wondering if I didn't have it on correctly

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not over-gassed. That's just the nature of the fixed ejector on these guns. As long as your valve tang is straight up and down, you're on the normal setting. I have heard tell of some US-made valves being ported incorrectly, so you could measure the ports, to check on that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. On the plus side if I ever have multiple targets in a line side by side I can conserve ammo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't able to check the brass as it was well beyond the firing line but it sounds like it's not not unusual or a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh that is super cool!
I Don't think I've ever even posted here yet, but I get notifications -kind of of an interested party with not much to offer!

The Sig 552 that I just sold actually, used to eject in EXACTLY the same pattern. I live out in the country, so I could actually measure the distance of the angle and ejection distance of the brass. 1:00 and 20 feet! I loved it.
So what.. Over gassed, whatever! This is great that you could simulate the Swiss ejection pattern of the 552 (and maybe other 55x's). I left my other Swiss ones unfired, but shot the 552-2SP quite a bit. I've got to ask what the gas settings are on your 556? I'd like to duplicate it for my ol' 556! I don't know.. It might do the same pattern, but I just haven't shot it much.. I think it will be fired more now that I am becoming Swiss-less.12 and 6 o'clock, I'll remember that and find out if I can do the same. Mine is a 556 classic. I can be contacted at: [email protected] any time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have mine on normal setting. It’s a used rifle when I bought it. Had a PRS stock so I’m guessing it was outfitted for precision work using a standard pencil barrel. I reverted this to an A2 stock recently and it now looks fantastic!

actually, the 1:00 ejection is not a bad thing. If needed for defense use, you don’t want brass raining down on friendlies! However, there’s always a little ding on the spent casing. Small price to pay for reliability, I guess.

thanks for the info on the 552. Very interesting indeed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have mine on normal setting. It’s a used rifle when I bought it. Had a PRS stock so I’m guessing it was outfitted for precision work using a standard pencil barrel. I reverted this to an A2 stock recently and it now looks fantastic!

actually, the 1:00 ejection is not a bad thing. If needed for defense use, you don’t want brass raining down on friendlies! However, there’s always a little ding on the spent casing. Small price to pay for reliability, I guess.

thanks for the info on the 552. Very interesting indeed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gotta get home and shoot it this afternoon and see what it does! I might just fall in love again with the ol’ 556!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally!
556 classic, gas valve straight up and down 10 paces\30 feet at 1 o’clock. Love it!
(I’m a little older, so 10 paces might not exactly equal 3 feet each!)

·
Registered
Sig556ER; Swiss internals; 551 HG; UBR stock w/MDT Folding SA; MFI rear diopter; 550 FS; Versa-Pod
64 Posts
Looking forward to shooting my ER soon to see if it's throwing brass at 1 o'clock! I did an as-close-as-possible 551 clone, so to see brass ejecting at 1 o'clock would make my clone that much cooler, to me anyway. Ik it has a Swiss gas block, piston, & spring, but I'm not sure about the valve. After researching how to tell if i had Swiss or US parts, based off the finish on my valve I think it was closer to a US, but couldn't be certain. Measuring the ports was another way to tell, but since I never had any issues I never measured em to see if they were Swiss dimensions or not. I also had some confusion with my BCG cuz it doesn't have any serial #'s or markings, but the finish on the bolt & carrier is consistent with a Swiss BCG, not US. Anyway, I guess I'll find out if the valve is ported correctly soon though. Glad I saw this post! Great info for guys like me who are always trying to make their 556's as Swiss as possible! Plus its a good way to double check if your valve is ported correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts