·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of mixing up a batch:

1 part ATF Dexron III
1 part K1 Kerosine
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

I'm going to leave out the Acetone and Lanolin as they're not really necessary, and acetone shouldn't be used indoors.

For normal cleaning, I'll still likely use Hoppes #9 on the barrel, and CLP on everything else. The plan is that every few thousand rounds to give my disassembled weapons an overnight soak submerged entirely in Ed's red.

Does anyone here use this stuff or have any opinions on it? Also, would the night sights on my pistols have any problems being submerged in it?

Thanks much.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Huh. I would have figured someone would have some experience with this stuff. Based on the lack of responses, I'll presume that this might be a bad idea....

I figured that submerging everything every few thousand rounds would work better than simply coating everything down in CLP, and letting it sit overnight. CLP is too expensive to use enough to submerge everything, which is why I was thinking of trying Ed's red for giving my weapons a bath.

I'd love to get an ultrasonic cleaner, but just can't justify the cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a huge batch of Ed's Red I made up a few years ago, still haven't used it up. Used primarily for initial carbon removal after expending massive amounts of ammunition and for initial cleaning of surplus rifles. Kept and used in shed separate from house due to acetone fumes when used. Have started using Wipe-out on bores to followup to truly get them clean.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use it exclusively. After a range session the handguns (minus the grips) get a 2 day soak and the rifles BCG's get the same. I do put the acetone and a bit more ATF then the original recipe calls for. Works wonders on getting everything clean and removing stubborn carbon. I've never had a problem with my night sights on over a dozen handguns that have been submerged for days.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you add the lanolin? From what I read adding it results in the solution also acting as a corrosion inhibitor.

Glad to know that it doesn't cause problems with tritium sights!

Thanks much.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Marvel mystery oil is a good ingredient. It is 50 or 60 weight oil and kerosene already mixed and its already red.

i spray on CLP and let it soak for a day or two in a bed pan when I am working on guns at work. then I scrub with cotton, brushes, and in worst cases dental picks and 0000 wool.

I then spray clean with mineral spirits.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
millerphys said:
Marvel mystery oil is a good ingredient. It is 50 or 60 weight oil and kerosene already mixed and its already red.

i spray on CLP and let it soak for a day or two in a bed pan when I am working on guns at work. then I scrub with cotton, brushes, and in worst cases dental picks and 0000 wool.

I then spray clean with mineral spirits.
I've used Marvel Mystery on all my firearms for the last forty years or so, it is excellent.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1 on Marvel Mystery Oil.

I have recently discovered M7-Pro products and once I used all the CLP I have now(not much) I think I'll be using M7-pro in the future.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re:

szuppo said:
I use it exclusively. After a range session the handguns (minus the grips) get a 2 day soak and the rifles BCG's get the same. I do put the acetone and a bit more ATF then the original recipe calls for. Works wonders on getting everything clean and removing stubborn carbon. I've never had a problem with my night sights on over a dozen handguns that have been submerged for days.
LOL, how many rounds do you shoot in a day at the range? They require a 2 day soak? wow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts