SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I was at the range, rezeroing my aimpoint, to a different location, when I was suddenly struck in the neck by what I assumed was a brass casing..

I thought hmm that is odd, my casings eject out to 1 o'clock, and so I did a cant and check, bolt was fully forward.. about this time I realize my neck is not burning and it can't be a casing. I grab the metal part and observe that it looks kind of like a locking bolt of my Aimpoint's Mount (I have the M4) So I check my aimpoint, know that big textured knob is in place, and everything looks good... I start to inspect my surroundings.. after a couple of moments I realize when I look straight down, I see this spring I have never seen before.. It turns out that the pin that the stock pivots on for the original length adjusting, sidefolding stock is held in place by a tiny C cotter pin. I fought with the assembly for 20 minutes and was not able to remount the Cotter pin on the pivot pin.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? I can't believe my battle riffle was effectively put out of action by a .02 part.. The only issues I have had with this firearm has been related to the stock (at a match the main bolt holding it on had threaded out, I didn't have a stable platform to aim with)

Do I call sig ?
Do I just purchase a small C clamp and use 2 pairs of needlenose plyers and force the C cotter pin back on?

How do I ensure it never comes apart again?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Call SIG and explain this to them. It should be covered.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same problem, SIG does not need your rifle back. I took pictures and requested a new stock. They also gave me a stock collapsible due to me having to wait. I tell you what, buy a UBR and you will never be un-happy. The UBR and PRS are 2 of the most solid rifle stocks around. Comparable in a solid feel to an M16 buttstock. If you work at it a bit you will get the C shaped lock back in place I did. Ridiculous that the achilles heel to such a remarkable rifle is its cheap stock.

·
Registered
421 Posts
GLD1980 said:
I tell you what, buy a UBR and you will never be un-happy. The UBR and PRS are 2 of the most solid rifle stocks around.
Put a UBR on mine and it's a world of difference compared to my original stock, sooo much more stable! Picked it up off Amazon for $225

·
Registered
131 Posts
2Loud4You said:
GLD1980 said:
I tell you what, buy a UBR and you will never be un-happy. The UBR and PRS are 2 of the most solid rifle stocks around.
Put a UBR on mine and it's a world of difference compared to my original stock, sooo much more stable! Picked it up off Amazon for $225
I agree... Great price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's I will give them a call.. My only problems for the most part are stock related, and even when it is not having problems there is too much play in the tube..

Maybe they will send me the new classic stock..

·
Registered
131 Posts
PDXMike said:
Thanks guy's I will give them a call.. My only problems for the most part are stock related, and even when it is not having problems there is too much play in the tube..

Maybe they will send me the new classic stock..
The Classic Stock will not work with your lower. You can only have a comercial or mil-spec tube unless you go with an ACE stock adapter kit and stock or another type of aftermarket company. My advice you really dont need a folder on a weapon with a 16" barrel except maybe transportation or storage so go fixed or collapsible and you will be happy.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts