SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I suspect there is not one serial number that represents a cutoff. Non Swiss parts were likely added as US suppliers came on line, so there was likely a serial number range, where the Swiss parts gradually disappeared.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Gents, have a son moving back to the U.S. and wouldn't mind getting him set up with one of the earlier models with more Swiss content.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Anything up to and in the 3999 range would be all Swiss internals. Not sure what the upper limit is, but I know you will be in there up to 3999....

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of Ullies early posts with great information are gone. But was able to salvage..

...my best guess...yes...based on your serial number...your's is one of the very early guns...my first gun...in the low 003000 serial number range has all the parts marked made in Switzerland...my second in the low 006000 range has mostly Swiss parts also...including the BCG...

...this is a "copy and paste" from a previous post of mine...i have marked the "components" that were Swiss made in the early guns...those that were manufactured and assembled during the first 6 to 8 mounts of production...Sigarms has since more than doubled their manufacturing/assembly facilities and more and more "component parts" are now being made in the U.S.

...components marked with *** were Swiss made in the earlier 556s...as production continued...less and less of these components were Swiss made...

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 pm

...FYI...some additional information on parts commonality between the 55x series generally and the semi auto Sig 551-SP specifically and the semi auto Sig 556...

...the 556 is essentially a 551-SP...the semi-auto version of the 551...the method of operation and mechanical function are identical...they differ in that the 556 has a lighter aluminum lower that can utilize NATO STANAG magagines...and the rear of the lower reciever is modified to be compatable with M4 type collapsing stocks...

...virtially all the parts are readily interchangable

...gas block assembly***
...gas valve ***
...gas piston and spring
...gas tube ***

...the entire bolt carrier group

...bolt and all it's components ***
...carrier and all it's components ***
...firing pin and spring ***
...charging handle ***
...charging handle catch assembly ***

...the entire fire control group including springs ***
...selector assembly ***
...bolt catch assembly ***
...pressure point screw assembly ***
...take down / pivot pins
...bolt cover and hardware ***

...handguards
...pistol grip

...* the 556 / 551 barrel does not interchange...the rear is treaded differently...likewise the treading for a muzzle attachment differs...

...* the swiss lower will fit and function with the 556 upper...however...when attaching a 556 lower to a swiss upper a small amount of metal must be relieved from the lower portion of the trunion to accomadate the Nato STANAG magazines...

...* the swiss folding stock will not interchange with the collapsing stock...

...* the magazine catch assembly in the 551 differs from that in the 556...and will not interchange...

...* the magazines do not interchange...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

..FYI...some of the more easily distinguishable components are...

...the Swiss made bolt has a "polished" shaft and is stamped with 4 digits...
...the Swiss made carrier is grey/green and is also stamped with 4 digits...
...the Swiss made gas piston is solid while the U.S. made gas piston is ribbed...
...the Swiss gas block is marked with "characters" on the right side...
...in the Swiss made FCG the hammer has more "white" metal running from the sear engagement area to the top of the hammer...and the spacer next to the sear is "most probably" spot welded to the sear...or you may have two semi sears ( ie trigger rods ) spot welded together...

...the barrel was also "imported" but finish machined here in the United States so as to comply with current importation restrictions regarding the importation into this country of gun barrels......

...in fact...the earlier 556s were shipped with the U.S. made USGI mag because there were concerns that the 556 with a foreign made mag "may not" have been complient under Title 18 USC-922r / Title 27 CFR 178.39 paragraph a and c banning the use of "imported parts" in the assembly of firearms prohibited from importation...

...paragraph "a" states that you cannot use more than 10 parts listed in paragraph "c"...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Swiss bolt carriers are black, US are grey. One can only assume the bolt is the same as the carrier, although I dont know.

Swiss gas blocks have swiss proof marks on them, right next to the housing for that spring loaded pin. Mine looks like it has three in a line and another fainter one in front of those by itself.

I thought I heard some 556's did come with Swiss gas pistons, although ullie's quote above saus no, huh. Regardless, Swiss gas pistons are not ribbed, US are ribbed.

I have a gun in the JS 53XX serial range and it has, for sure, swiss BCG and gas block, and i think all the other internals except for the gas piston.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's the big deal? Swiss internal or not they all function the same, I would say that it's more of an EGO tripping! :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have both an early "Swiss" JS 556 ER and a latter JT 556 ER......

The JS3xxx range rifle has the following Swiss parts:

* Bolt Carrier
* Bolt
* Fire Control Group
* Gas Block
* Pistol Grip (it doesn't fit the rifle correctly, and is marked differently)

The JS selector lever is different than the JT "ER Model" I own.

The JS lower receiver has less reinforcing than the JT "ER Model" I own.

The JS charging handle is slightly different than the JT "ER Model" I own.

The JS has the "dreaded" 4 bolt rail, while the JT gun has the 3 bolt with popsicle.

The JS came with a factory aluminum receiver extension ("buffer tube" in AR15 terms), while the JT gun came with a plastic one (I replaced this with a milspec tube).

The JS has the welds visible on the upper receiver. The JT has no visible welds.

Is there a difference in function?

The JS gun feels "tighter" than the JT gun.

The JS gun has never malfunctioned. The JT gun had one VERY stuck case.

The JS gun is less accurate than the JT gun. (Both guns were set up the same way - with a LaRue rear sight and Samson front. The scope was put on the JT because it was more accurate).

The JS gun has no fishgill handguard wobble. The JT gun has a lot of fishgill wobble.

JS Top
JT Bottom

As a side - I also have a "Classic" model........

The Classic is the least accurate of the three.

The Classic has visible welds on the upper.

The Classic has very little "handguard wobble" (they are US Made Classic HG's)

The Classic trigger guard pin "walked out" at the range, and the trigger guard fell out of the gun. The hole in the receiver was so oversized I had to "crimp" the pin before installing it.

The Classic has the "mushiest" trigger of the three.

·
Registered
10 Posts
speedpower said:
What's the big deal? Swiss internal or not they all function the same, I would say that it's more of an EGO tripping! :roll:
Seeing the little problems encountered by the 'classic' owners, dimpled FCG hammers and the bolt impacting the trunnion, a good argument can be made swiss parts from the mother country/factory are of higher quality than its US satellite.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a Swiss equipped ER S/N JS009XXX. Never a single problem after roughly 5000 rounds fired. Mine has a metal stock tube from factory. Shoots MOA with 75gr hand loads. Kind of funny, I pulled it out to look and noticed a roll pin walking out of the gas block. Glad I looked before it fell out. :) Gun has three hole rail and welds showing on upper. It is built rock solid and I would have no problem whacking a terrorist at 500+ yards or but stroking him in the face up close :wink:

·
Registered
679 Posts
dl5treez said:
speedpower said:
Somewhat so. The black bcg is considered to be the same as the 551 (select fire) but there isn't a whole lot of importance in that.

Some say the U.S. produced parts are of lesser quality than the Swiss produced parts, but how much of that is true is debatable.

There is quite a lot of anal retentiveness going on with these supposed 'garbage' rifles. JMHO...
I will gladly take all of these "garbage" 556 rifles/pistols free of charge off anyone, send them to my FFL please. :mrgreen:

sd1023x said:
speedpower said:
Seeing the little problems encountered by the 'classic' owners, dimpled FCG hammers and the bolt impacting the trunnion, a good argument can be made swiss parts from the mother country/factory are of higher quality than its US satellite.
I've not encountered any of these problems with any of my Classics yet.

Odd though, two of my Classics were JS serial numbered. One has a Swiss bolt carrier inside it...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, I must have some kind of transition model JS series ER. A combination of early and late features.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts