SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
different states have different gun laws?

I live in Michigan; with some very different laws regarding firearms. SBRs are illegal but you can own Class III (but no silencers). Open carry and CCW (known as CPL - concealed pistol license) are allowed but in order to buy a handgun you must have either a CPL or go to the Police/Sheriff's Office to get a purchase permit. The CPL requires taking a CCW Course (around $100), two sets of fingerprints, a background check, and review/approval by a CCW Review Board. It is a PITA to buy a hand gun if you don't have a CPL but since I am a Federal LEO and can off-duty carry 24/7 I can't justify the cost. Unfortunately that means I need to troop to the Police Station wehnever I want to buy a hand gun.

The really sad part of the law is when it comes to purchasing long guns that have folding/collapsible stocks. According to Michigan law, if a long gun has a folding stock and it is less then 30" when folded it must be purchased as a handgun...with permit.

I ordered a 522 that came in Friday afternoon. Looking at Sig's website, the technical specs say that the Sig 522, with folded stock, is 26.1" long. Too late Friday to get a permit, I now have to wait until tomorrow to apply for a permit; which usually takes a minimum of 1 day (apply tomorrow, get it Tuesday). Sometime on Tuesday I'll have my newest gun family member, a 522.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aren't real life Federal LEOs like the ones on TV where they just pick up guns from criminals whenever they need one. Just drive around find a bad guy and take his gun. :p :p :D

It happens on 24 all the time so it must be true.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I feel your pain. I find our state to be pretty rediculous when it comes to gun ownership. I keep telling myself that at least we are not like California or New York, but it doesn't make me feel much better. Especially when trying to by a hand gun, or in some cases as you noted a rifle and I have to go to the police station and put in a application, wait till the next day to get the permit, go pick up my firearm, then go back to get it registered.

An interesting side affect of registering rifles as pistols here is that if you have a CPL you can now tote your folded stock rifle loaded in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. I can't think of 1 good reason to be able to do that, but you can if ya want!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts