SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone... I'm new here and I just recently bought a NIB Sig 556 Swat. I'm not new to guns but this is the first time I've had a Sig... I really like it and I like the fact that it looks different than AR... and I also like the fact that it is a piston driven action. I took the rifle out on Memorial Day and shot it for the first time. First thing I noticed was how smooth the action seemed. Low recoil and you don't here that AR "Spoing" sound when fired. I was shooting 55gr FMJ that I had gotten from Georgia Arms. After about 150 - 200 rounds or so, the rifle had several FTF... the bolt would seem catch the next round about half way up the casing. It gave me the impression that the bolt carrier group wasn't going back far enough to feed the next round properly. I adjusted the gas piston to the "fouled" setting and the rifle functioned fine. I will say that before I went shooting that I did apply a little more lube to select spots as it appeared as though not enough was applied from the factory. I added Lithium grease where grease was applied originally. In looking back I wonder if adding the lithium grease to what was already there was a good idea as it may have been too much and that may have cause it to gum up and cause FTF's... When I cleaned it after shooting it, I did notice some very fine metal shavings... and immediately thought..."that's not good". It wasn't a lot but it was definitely noticable. I took my time cleaning the rifle trying to notice anything out of the ordinary especially after having seen fine metal shavings. I field stripped the rifle even down to taking the gas tube out. Cleaned out the receiver, bolt and bolt carrier. The piston head was fouled and residue was was on the top portion of the piston rod. I used CLP to clean it and wipe it down. After cleaning I was very liberal in applying lube. I used no grease this time.... I had cleaned the rifle with CLP and the wiped it all off and lubed it with some Militech Gun oil (really good stuff BTW) and as I said I was liberal with it. Once the rifle was back together I cycled the actionabout 75 time to work in the lube. It seemed fine but I did notice that the bolt seemed to lightly stick when it was about 80% back and would hang there. I could just very lightly tap it and it would go forward into battery. I tried to see if I could see what was causing it to bind but could see nothing. I even removed the bolt carrier and checked it again. It "seems" OK. Got it all together and put away for the night. Today I got the rifle and cycled it several times and it seemed to cycle smoothly but I still notice that sticking point ever so slightly... it didn't actually stick this time but maybe once or twice. I think letting the lube soak in really good overnight helped it. I was wondering if what I have experienced thus far is normal for this rifle or do you guys think there might be a problem? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have included a couple of pics of the rifle and the place at where the bolt was sticking.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
P2,
Mine started off the same way. I was using cheap ammo and SIG mags and the bolt was "sticky" right where yours is. This is all normal for a NIB.

Dont fire one the foulded setting unless you really need to. It will tear up everything. Keep the selector up and down.

Get some better mags, I recommend PMAGS or Lancer L5's. Or anything else isbetter than the SIG mag, it's only good as a target, really...

Get some better ammo. I use and have NEVER had a FTF with PMC 55gr. PMC w/PMAGS I have never had a FTF with well over 2000 rounds.

I don't know the exact amount of rounds I have put through but my bolt no longer catches, smooth through the whole action even slowly.

Use CLP only! or similar. No grease! The grease that was there was for packing.

When you want to clean after firing, put some CLP in a bowl and soak everything with carbon on it over night, it will wipe right off the next day.

Ullie will have more I garantee!

Hope I helped,
Geardo

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is the bolt hanging up on the hammer. It will take some break in to reduce that problem and the work you have already done to it should be sufficient. Mine has around 1300 rounds through it plus countless manual cycles and continues to slightly hang up on the hammer every once in a while when it is lightly cycled by hand. As far as live fire goes, it should be functioning 100% now that you have broken it in. If it continues to FTF then there may be a problem, but as of now I would continue to manually cycle it with CLP in the action and go have fun at the range. She should be good to go. This is one of the reasons not to take a brand new weapon out to stake your life on. There are almost always machining marks or fit issues that will wear in with a little manual manipulation of the action. Ullies "How to treat the new arrival" thread goes through the proper break-in procedure for this particular platform and has worked great for those who have used it. Hope this helps.
Cheney

·
Registered
188 Posts
Geardo you were only seconds quicker on the submit button than me. Hope the family is doing well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
haha, that's outstanding! I win...lol

Thanks Cheney, we are all good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts