SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Questions:

1) I have an original Sig 556 SWAT Rifle. However I am about done with the extra weight of the quad rail. I ran across this sight and purchased this Sig 556 classic rails.

However I only read below after I had purchased and it had shipped, "This part is not compatible with the SIG 556 Swat. It is only built for full length rifles, such as the 556, 551A1, 551, and 551-SP2."

It looks like it should fit when I hold it up, but before I get into this is there a known issue? Should I not bother? Or did they mean it would not fit Sig 556 SWAT patrol?

2) Where can I find a Sig rail parts kit for this handguard?

I realize the point of my switching is to lose weight but I do have a AGP I love, and would like a place for light. Also I might want to put a bipod on in the future.

I have seen it listed as SKU 1511690, and also as HG-SW-FS-RAIL-BLK

Can anyone verify if this is for the 556 handguards or the Swiss?

I dearly love my fat girl (556-SWAT) but I am looking for any way at all to trim the weight, and finding parts now seems near impossible. If anyone can direct me to parts I sure would appreciate it. If someone knows why this handguard will not work with my SWAT I'd appreciate that too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, here's what I know. There are 2 gas piston system lengths, the standard carbine length and a shorter "Patrol" model. My 556 is a SWAT PARTOL meaning it has the rail handguards but they are shorter than standard SWAT handguards. I swapped them out for some shorter PATROL plastic handguards and they fit right up. You should be able to swap handguards as long as they fit your gas system's length.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a SIG 556 SWAT model, which came with the aluminum finger shredder handguard. I bought the plastic handguards from Gatewood supply and they fit perfectly (once I figured out exactly how to put it on). If the one you get has the holes drilled for the rails, some of the Magpull rails will fit it if you measure the distance between the holes exactly and match them up with the holes on the Magpull rail. Mine also has the full-length gas system.
The previous post regarding the Patrol length gas system is correct, but you can sometimes find the Patrol rifle plastic hand guards on gunbroker.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Sig 556 Classic plastic handguard will fit on a Classic SWAT, but I don’t know if the 551 or actual Swiss variant handguards are compatible due to length. Sadly, the original applique rail kits have been long since discontinued from Sig. If anyone has a set they could let me borrow/buy, I’d love to have some sets duplicated via 3D printing…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts