SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the bayonet lug for the classic swat (Colorado gun sales). They were great. Quick delivery and the bayonet was in near mint condition (as advertised). The lug fits perfectly for those using the classic swat rails (or any rails that use part of the bayonet lug). The knife has no kind of edge on it but the pointy end is sharp enough!

The gun's coolness factor just went up a few notches in my book! :D

·
Registered
Sig556ER; Swiss internals; 551 HG; UBR stock w/MDT Folding SA; MFI rear diopter; 550 FS; Versa-Pod
66 Posts
20160130_144951-1.jpg

Ik this is an old post , but just wanted to show mine. Finally got a Swiss handguard set to fit the surefire upper. Still deciding if I should paint it grey to match or leave the bottom green.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those Wenger green handled bayos are awesome. Cant fit one on the patrol though unfortunately :( Maybe ill dig up a classic length upper one day when I finally melt my patrol barrel ... or go the other way and pop a 556 pistol upper on it SBR style. We'll see.

Still, nice knives though. They certainly do raise the coolness factor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah they aren't all that useful when you are employed by a group that supplies you with endless ammo and support while fighting a lesser foe. I imagine they were gold in real war situations when you had to survive in the field on your own often well out of reach of steady supply chains.

They do make great camping and survival knives for the most part though. Even in the service, mine mostly was used as a food/cooking utensil and can opener. Hacked down brush for hides with it. Kill rats stuck in the sticky traps in our tents so they aren't squeaking for days on end keeping us up until they starve to death. The occasional ad hoc knife throwing competition amonst other Marines at a dirt barrier or something. A hammer ... pretty much everything a super high carbon brittle knife wasn't designed to be used for ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I will say they are a pretty big deterrent when you are processing individuals during searches and stuff. No ones gonna try grabbing the barrel of your gun or getting unruly in close quarters with that thing on the end of it.

·
Registered
Sig556ER; Swiss internals; 551 HG; UBR stock w/MDT Folding SA; MFI rear diopter; 550 FS; Versa-Pod
66 Posts
+1dirtyrob.... I also think it's fair to say that most of us that buy bayonets, do so to fulfill a certain desire or satisfaction in completing a specific battle rifle build. Or cloning their favorite military rifle in its entirety. Having the proper bayonet, especially an authentic one, not only adds to the excitement of building a rifle u always wanted, but u have to admit when building a clone of a modern beauty like the Sig 55X, the bayonet def gives it a Vicious look!
I don't think most of us guys who buy bayonets for our rifles, carbines or even pistols is some cases, buy them & leave them on at all times for home defense. Also , like stated above, knives usually go hand in hand w/gun owners. Bayonets are a great addition to a knife collection because of the many capabilities that they provide that most high carbon fighting knives just can't deliver. Lastly, I have to say that being a US Marine & having fought in Anbar Province in '04, '05 & '06, I have to admit that although I personally never had to employ my bayonet (other than for basic utility use) having it readily available when patrolling the streets or having to clear homes & buildings, certainly gave me a little more sense of security. Which was always welcome.

·
Registered
146 Posts
+1dirtyrob.... I also think it's fair to say that most of us that buy bayonets, do so to fulfill a certain desire or satisfaction in completing a specific battle rifle build. Or cloning their favorite military rifle in its entirety. Having the proper bayonet, especially an authentic one, not only adds to the excitement of building a rifle u always wanted, but u have to admit when building a clone of a modern beauty like the Sig 55X, the bayonet def gives it a Vicious look!
Yes, kinda like restoring a car. I get it. If I had one of the older swiss made models ... I'd probably have the same mentality. I'd want to get the entire set of gear for it right down to the cleaning kit used at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts