SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put over 2k rounds down the pipe and have decided to clean my weapon.

Any tips or tricks to cleaning? I know how to field strip and so on, but are there any critical areas I should concentrate on? the manual is worthless...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've put about 200 rounds down range and just cleaned mine. Seriously probably about 300 rounds, but I wanted to see if any wear to carrier, etc. I was ok.

My question is regarding grease.

The factory had put a small amount of grase inside the upper receiver chamber and a small amount of grease on the grooves of carrier. Obviously, when I cleaned with CLP it removed the grease.

I have spoken to some in military who said never used grease when cleaning and weapons worked well for years. But Sig must have had reason to put grease in these two spots.

Do I need to re-grease?
What is purpose of grease (doesn't oil lubricate enough)?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
johnw91498 said:
How do you clean the inside of the piston?
Pipe cleaner, qtip or brake clean. It disolves any carbon that may build up.

If the Sigs are anything like my Swiss Arms they stay amazingly clean. I am now getting over the obsession with cleanliness that was beat into me in the army.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree w/Zeus, grease is a no-no when it comes to maintaining your Sig rifle. Make sure the chamber and bore are clean, clean the bolt face. If you clean the piston/valve with CLP, ensure that it is DRY when you reassemble the rifle. Remember: on a piston gun, lube is like oregano - a little goes a long way.

Leb

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just wipe everything down it should be pretty quick.

Unless your running through the mud and sand this rifles stay pretty clean.

·
Registered
472 Posts
How to clean the gas tube... 20 gauge bore snake. How to clean the barrel .223 rem bore snake. A couple of swipes from chamber to muzzle without CLP is all you need for the barrel.

NEVER USE GREASE!!

The grease was there to preserve the gun while shipping and displaying. that grease is not ment for action use.

I always leave a light coat of CLP on every part that runs along another.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I agree do not use grease. I use miltec syntetic oil for several years with no problems what so ever. On all my newer guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts