SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
These look suspiciously like balloons . . . . . :shock: :mrgreen:.....---the price makes me suspicious... :p :p

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Racer,

Working with SIG is moving, albeit slowly.

I finally got official drawings from them, and have my 3rd batch of prototypes being EDM cut based on the drawings, with promises of this week, plus maybe a week for heat treat ... so that's good.

I might still have to tweek the spring in the sear, to get it to reset more reliably - TBD.

In terms of letoff, it feels fantastic. The sear edges are sharp, and will hold an edge, and I've got the sear faces to be mirror bright, giving a combination of a baby's butt slide and an icicle break ....

·
Registered
803 Posts
So you were searching for "Inflatables", huh? :lol:
Getting lonely up there?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
103 Posts
7art said:
Racer,

Working with SIG is moving, albeit slowly.

I finally got official drawings from them, and have my 3rd batch of prototypes being EDM cut based on the drawings, with promises of this week, plus maybe a week for heat treat ... so that's good.
Looked that EDM process up and it's real interesting. Just for my own useless information, do you know how long it takes to cut one of your pieces?

7art said:
I might still have to tweek the spring in the sear, to get it to reset more reliably - TBD.

In terms of letoff, it feels fantastic. The sear edges are sharp, and will hold an edge, and I've got the sear faces to be mirror bright, giving a combination of a baby's butt slide and an icicle break ....

<INSERT EVIL MASTERMIND HAND-WRINGING LAUGHTER HERE>
Looking forward to playing with the finished (or damn close to it) product. Hope I'm still up high on your tester or early-adopter list.

Regards,

Racer5

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember the cut speed, but it is not fast (maybe 20" per hour), which makes it relatively expensive. The bright side is that with small parts, you can stack them (I think these machines are optimized to cut about 2" thick, so for my 0.200 thick parts, they can stack 10 plates). Also, these machines can auto drill and thread the wire unattended, so if you stack 10 plates, and lay out 10 shapes next to each other, you can start the cut when you close shop, and it will run overnight, so you have 100 parts in the morning. This ability to run unattended keeps the parts affordable, since you don't have to pay to have a machinist stand over the machine the whole time. I think they have four machines, and 1 guy to run them, so he only gets involved to set up the job, and to clean it up.

Art

·
Registered
103 Posts
7art said:
I don't remember the cut speed, but it is not fast (maybe 20" per hour), which makes it relatively expensive. The bright side is that with small parts, you can stack them (I think these machines are optimized to cut about 2" thick, so for my 0.200 thick parts, they can stack 10 plates). Also, these machines can auto drill and thread the wire unattended, so if you stack 10 plates, and lay out 10 shapes next to each other, you can start the cut when you close shop, and it will run overnight, so you have 100 parts in the morning. This ability to run unattended keeps the parts affordable, since you don't have to pay to have a machinist stand over the machine the whole time. I think they have four machines, and 1 guy to run them, so he only gets involved to set up the job, and to clean it up.

Art
Apparently I've hijacked this thread but thanks for all the interesting tidbits. Eagerly awaiting the next stage in the development.

Regards,

Racer5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts