SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just want to start by saying I know nothing about Ak-47's...nothing.

Next, i want to say that they are kind of hard to come by where I am at (odd isn't it)

The local shop has a century arms 1960 (Polish) Ak with wood furniture for $950. Is it worth going for?

I have decided to expand my collection into things I normally wouldnt get but would be nice to have (an AK, an old HK 91, an FAL etc...)

I like quality stuff, hence the sig, lwrc, wilson etc. I don't mind staying away from something and saving up the extra bucks to hunt down good quality..but this one is available (which is half the battle here)

Is it worth it, or can someone suggest something else?

·
Registered
176 Posts
950 is extremely steep for an AK, unless it's a collector grade safe queen.

Is it collector grade? I'm not up on the collector value of Century stuff--last I remember they were sort of 'junk'...not bad, but not very good either.

Where are you located? You can purchase Arsenal AK rifles for under 950 that IMHSO are head & shoulders above anything I've ever come across from Century, and probably the best U.S. made AK variant on the market today.

Milled receivers are more expensive than stamped receivers.

Quality wood furniture is considered better by some than synthetic, although there is some really poorly cut wood out there.

An AK-anything will never be a tack driver, never be a match rifle. The best ones are lucky to achieve minute of refrigerator @ 200 yards on a consistent basis, but that's the brilliance (?) of the AK design...they'll shoot minute of refrigerator for 50,000 rounds and not break through rain, snow, sleet, hail, swamp, insects, zombies, etc...

About the only thing that can kill an AK is an assault weapons ban. Well, and a torch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in a California... I am checking out Arsenal's site... hmmm...again, one of the tough things is getting them out here. Not to mention trying to differentiate between the models...online...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ah..yeah the California thing throws a kink in the typical AK universe.

I've seen them at Atlantic Firearms CA legal for 699.

I feel for ya bud...you can pick up a decent AK elsewhere for less than 500.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My next rifle will be a Century milled receiver Polish AKThey really look sweet and I have heard good things about them.Classic Arms is selling them for $ 699.00,but don't mention a Commie version.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
fifty said:
The local shop has a century arms 1960 (Polish) Ak with wood furniture for $950. Is it worth going for?
...NO !...it's a parts gun cobbled together by a company that has a very spotty reputation...and considerably overpriced by the gunshop...

fifty said:
or can someone suggest something else?
...i don't know what the "ever changing" firarms laws currently are in California...is it possible to buy an already existing " so called" assualt rifle currently registered in the state...ie one that was grandfathered and can be transfered ?

...the following are "factory" produced AKs...manufactured in the same factory and using the same grade of materials and workmanship as the military wepons...

...MAK 90...Maadi ( as close as you'll get to a Russian factory produced AK)...Polytech AKS...the Mak 90 would be a good bet...equal in quality and function to the Polytech...and you may be able to but a Fiberforce stock on her if it's legal to avoid the evil pistol grip...

...i would also check if Arsenal makes a California complient AK...or if one of the Arsenal guns can be modified to comply with the Califorinia Firearms Law restrictions...Arsenal makes excellent AKs...

... http://www.arsenalinc.com/

...i would really do your homework on this one...both legally...and what you intend to buying...it's too bad things are the way they are in some states...unfortunately...it is what is is...good luck !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We can do pistol grips etc..the only requirement is the little thingy that mounts over the mag release so it needs a tool.

The hard part is finding a shop that will ship it with the part mounted making it cali compliant...

Any recommendations on the different versions on Arsenals site? Milled vs stamped etc?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Arsenal AK's

I have both the milled and stamped versions of Arsenal AK's. While the millled versions are somewhat more accurate I not sure it's worth the premium you have to pay. Just my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts