SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say my SIG556 has never malfunctioned, not once, very happy with that. But I was a little concerned, not much, that I had to have my front sight all the way to the left and my rear sight all the way to the right for the firearm to hit center, so I called them and they were very helpful and wanted to take care of any problems I had and e-mailed me a return shipping label. I also had one other little concern, the Rotary Diopter rear sight had a ding and was poorly finished and I put that on the note and sent with firearm back to SIGSauer. Well the turn around was less than two weeks, that is great, as they stated in their e-mail to allow 3-4 weeks. Well in the case there is a test target at 25yds and shows 5 holes 1.25" to the left of center. At 50yds this will be 2.5" and at 100yds 5". About the same problem for what I sent it in for ??? Well I'll just have to take to the range and see. The other issue was the rear sight, and they did put me a new sight on there, it has no dings and a good finish, nice and tight and no play on the 0(V) setting BUT at the 100 peep some play, at 200 peep there is soo much play that it almost freely turns back to 100 and almost all the way to 300, and will not lock into the 300 peep at all. GD I'm so pissed I can barely type this sht. As I was handling the firearm I kept hearing something rattling, I was really getting concerned until I popped the pistol grip little door open and a new straight charging handle fell out, thank god, nice. Well I'm really wondering why I sent it in. I guess I'm just going to have to take to the range and test it, OH thats right my NEW rear sight doesn't work.

I was really looking forward to getting the SIG516 but if SIG cant get the 556 right I don't think I will be investing my money in the 516.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I heard these magazines were junk. They feel like junk. It must have broken inside the gun case during shipping.

Factory test target included in the box after servicing. Work order read 'Replaced rear sight, realigned front and rear sight, tested 5rds'.

Took my SIG556 to the range after it came back from the factory.

Ammo used was Winchester 5.56mm 55gr FMJ, and Federal XM193 55gr FMJ.

This is the rear sight as set from the factory.

This is the front sight as set from the factory.

This is how the rifle shot with the sights in factory alignment at 50 yds.

This is the amount of correction needed before the rifle would center.

Rear:

Front:

Now I'm back to where I started before I returned the gun to SIG for servicing in the first place. I don't know what their thinking was by re-centering the sights instead of actually fixing the issue. Sending the gun back solved nothing and was wasted time.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I had one of the early SIG's with the swiss internals and suffered the same issue.

I even spent a few hundred $ on new irons without any improvement.

I had to argue with one of the CSR's but eventually talked to someone that not only authorized a return, but asked me to do so as soon as possible.

However, when I sent my rifle back, they kept it - and refused explanation. They demanded that I accept a new rifle in it's place. Seriously. No answers, explanations - nothing.

By the time the replacement rifle (which consisted of a new upper and my original lower - per MY demands) arrived, I popped an Eotech on it.

It drives tacks now. I still haven't sighted in my irons though, Once I recover from being rear ended last week, I intend to hit the range and tune it up a tad.

I never found out what the issue was, but I suggest you have your rifle looked at by a competent smith.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phazuka said:
Could be your barrel or gas block is canted?
I don't know, I sent it to SIGSauer to have them fix it and all they did was center the sights on the gun with new rear sight and it shows from the factory test target that they shot a 5 shot group 1.25" to the left and they sent it back. So I had to take to the range and sight it in to hit center and now I'm back to having my sights way off center line of rifle, this is the hole reason it was sent in, I'm back where I started before I sent it in.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
deadduck357 said:
Phazuka said:
Could be your barrel or gas block is canted?
I don't know, I sent it to SIGSauer to have them fix it and all they did was center the sights on the gun with new rear sight and it shows from the factory test target that they shot a 5 shot group 1.25" to the left and they sent it back. So I had to take to the range and sight it in to hit center and now I'm back to having my sights way off center line of rifle, this is the hole reason it was sent in, I'm back where I started before I sent it in.
If you have some verified 'right angles' such as carpenters squares or those plastic ones used in geometry class you can check for canting.

When I was suffering through this, we also wondered if

-the barrel was indexed correctly?
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... e-barrels/

- the chamber throat was too deep, allowing the bullet to lose axial alignment before entering the barrel? http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RifleTuning.asp

- the rail on the receiver was canted? Look at ullie's reply in this thread - should be third or fourth one down-
http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

I would definitely call again, and deal with someone other than the CSR you dealt with last time. I would strongly suggest trying the old "I want a supervisor" bit as it does seem to work with them (I had to use it). The supervisor I spoke with was the one that asked me to send my rifle back as soon as I described the issue. She emailed the RMA while we were on the phone. She also asked me NOT to fire the rifle again, just to send it back immediately. That wigged me out a bit.

SIG never told me what the issue was. They refused, even when asked directly and instead played the 'oh I don't know, I didn't work on your rifle' game. That was very upsetting. We love our 556's but dealing with SIG is a crap-shoot. It depends on who you talk to, you receives your weapon, who works on it, what notes they take, and who ships it back. The very first CSR I talked to told me the warranty on my rifle was expired. Seriously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts