SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! How sad is this... another brick in the wall in Kalifornia

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo...

Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo. The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, the Morgan Hill Times reported. The boys told the newspaper they complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags. "They said we were starting a fight," Dariano told the newspaper. "We were fuel to the fire." The boys told Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden that turning their shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents decided to take them home, the newspaper reports. "I just couldn't believe it," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mother, told the newspaper. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

Galli told NBC Bay Area, "They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it." In a statement released on Wednesday, the Morgan Hill Unified School District said it did not agree with the school's actions. "In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today," the statement read. "The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

Attempts to reach school officials early Thursday were not successful. A secretary told the Morgan Hill Times that Boden and Rodriguez were unavailable for comment on Wednesday. According to its website, Live Oak High School is a 1,300-student institution in the southern part of Santa Clara County, with most students residing in the nearby cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose. "The student population reflects the rich ethnic and socioeconomic diversity of the community," the website reads. More than 100 students were spotted wearing the colors of the Mexican flag -- red, white and green -- as they left school, including some who had the flag painted on their faces or arms, the Morgan Hill times reported.

While bandannas of any color are banned at the school, its dress code policy does not contain references to American flags."However, any clothing or decoration which detracts from the learning environment is prohibited," the policy reads. "The school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action." Freshman Laura Ponce, who had a Mexican flag painted on her face and chest, told the Morgan Hill Times that Cinco de Mayo is the "only day" Mexican-American students can show their national pride. "There was a lot of drama going on today," Ponce told the newspaper.

Some other Mexican-American students reportedly said their flags were taken away or asked to be put away, but no other students were sent home on Wednesday.

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and a Fox News legal analyst, said the incident appears to a "blatant" violation of the students' First Amendment right to free speech. She noted that inciting violence is an exception to a First Amendment legal defense, but Wiehl said she saw no indications that the students provoked anyone. "Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a blatant violation of the First Amendment," said Wiehl, adding that uniforms are not required at the public school. "And they're wearing, of all horrific things, the American flag."

FoxNews.com's Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If they are offended by our flag, leave the country.

·
Registered
403 Posts
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wow!!! This really pisses me off!!!!!!!

What have we turned into???

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree. Everyone has the right to leave regardless of citizenship status and place of birth.
Adios Amigos, hausta la wego.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The town is about 40 minutes south of SF. It used to be a hard working farm community but has been settled by alot of folks from San Jose and SF who commute back and forth.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well this sent me to looking into what Cinco de Mayo is all about. I thought it was Mexico's Independence Day - BUT IT'S NOT!

It's the day they defeated the French after the French wanted to claim parts of Mexico because Mexico owed the French a lot of [email protected]*king money!

They owed Spain, England and France money due to the American-Mexican War and the Mexican Civil War.

See this link: http://www.mexonline.com/cinco-de-mayo.htm

Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day - two non-American holidays that are celebrated more in the States than in their homeland - just as a reason to drink.

It would be interesting to ask if the school administrators even know what Cinco de Mayo is all about!

·
Registered
518 Posts
1stGenerationAmerican said:
Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day - two non-American holidays that are celebrated more in the States than in their homeland - just as a reason to drink.
Actually, St. Patrick's used to be a really religious holiday in Ireland. It was after all a Saint's Day and it was probably celebrated with as much solemnity as our Thanksgiving - a day for the whole family to get together and go to mass, eat, and then do small, private celbrations. Of course, as Ireland has grown less religious over the past few decades (they legalized abortion, divorce, and churches all over Ireland are being sold off because no one goes to them anymore) they are now increasingly celebrating it the way Americans do.

To add to the list:

Halloween - is a "christianized" version of Samhain, the pagan Celtic holiday that was celebrated all over Europe until the Romans beat the Celts back to their last stronghold in the British Isles. It almost completely died out until after WWII when American GIs brought back some of the customs that a few Europeans still celebrated and candy companies saw a great marketing opportunity. Mexicans celebrate El dia de los muertos; its purpose and reason are very similar to Samhain and they fall roughly around the same time but they have very different customs attached to them. The Mexican holiday is more religious and solemn in tone than the American Halloween.

Christmas - the date and the customs (the tree, gift-giving, etc.) that are used to celebrate it come from Saturnalia, the Roman feast which was in turn borrowed from the Babylonians Feast of The Birth of Isis' Son (Jeremiah 10:1-11, strictly forbidding believers from practicing idol worship that we would call a Christmas tree today). The northern European pagans celebrated it similarly but called it Yule (hence we have the term Yule log).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Anyone living in the US that has a problem of any kind with the flag, which would include burning it or showing it disrespect, should be considered to have legally renounced their citizenship, and forced to leave the country. The person that instructed those students to remove their shirts or turn them inside out should be forever stripped of his citizenship.

I believe in National sovereignty, the rule of law, and blind justice under that law. To those that think that makes me a racist, you're just plain fucked in the head.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone on here remember the 60's? Back then older Americans were horrified when our flag was worn as clothing. How things change!

·
Registered
682 Posts
jalso said:
Anyone living in the US that has a problem of any kind with the flag, which would include burning it or showing it disrespect, should be considered to have legally renounced their citizenship, and forced to leave the country. The person that instructed those students to remove their shirts or turn them inside out should be forever stripped of his citizenship.

I believe in National sovereignty, the rule of law, and blind justice under that law. To those that think that makes me a racist, you're just plain fucked in the head.
+++100

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now California is considering not allowing flags to fly or be displayed in schools because it is too controversial and may offend Spanish students. As far as I am concerned they can be offended in Mexico looking into the US.

·
Registered
174 Posts
noremf said:
Now California is considering not allowing flags to fly or be displayed in schools because it is too controversial and may offend Spanish students. As far as I am concerned they can be offended in Mexico looking into the US.
Unless those students are from the country named Spain, they are not Spanish. I generally resent being lumped in the same category as the south of the border crowd.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would also like to point out that several of the Mecha, Aztlan, La Raza type groups that preach "The Plan of San Diego", which is to kill ALL Whites over a certain age (I believe it is thirteen years age) in a designated Southwestern portion of the United States, actually receive Federal funding through several channels.

People act like we are banning all Mexicans from coming here. What part of illegal do they not understand? I don't mean to sound racist, but if the entire US fills up with Mexicans, how is it going to be any different than Mexico? There will be no difference. Why don't they sort out their own messes down there. You cannot have open borders to a welfare nation like the US. It is like a restaurant not charging for meals, it can only last so long. Strangely enough, I understand Mexico has rather strict immigration laws. Go figure.

Just for the record a couple of the kids who were sent home were of Hispanic heritage. Good for them. At least someone gets it.

"The powers that be" are working hard pumping the media full of these distractions right now whilst they ROB us. Distraction techniques are a classic maneuver of thieves and criminals. Meanwhile this is happening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37070441#37070441

·
Registered
76 Posts
I apologize for saying Spanish instead of nasty ass ********.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just to be clear, there are hispanic Texans, especially in rural areas, that are the salt of the earth. They are hard working, tax paying, English speaking, legal citizens who are patriotic and often have served in the Military. They are real, honest to goodness Texans..............and guess what? They are the number one proponents of border security. I just want to make sure that not all persons of mestizo ancestry get painted with a broad coarse brush.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nobody is saying anything against any US citizen or any valid green card Hispanic they are very hard working productive people. I misspoke in saying Spanish. If you are legal more power to you if you are illegal get the hell out. They are overloading our medical, and welfare systems they pray on good productive Hispanics that busted their ass to become US citizens legally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trey73 said:
Just to be clear, there are hispanic Texans, especially in rural areas, that are the salt of the earth. They are hard working, tax paying, English speaking, legal citizens who are patriotic and often have served in the Military. They are real, honest to goodness Texans..............and guess what? They are the number one proponents of border security. I just want to make sure that not all persons of mestizo ancestry get painted with a broad coarse brush.
Exactly. I came over for my last year of college in 1994, and dutifully returned home upon graduation even though I could have squeezed 1 year of OJT. I came back for law school (Texas Tech, incidentally), and married my college girlfriend.

Applying for adjustment to permanent resident and eventually citizenship is a process, but it's clearly feasible. Yes, it takes time, but that is no excuse to disregard our system. For that reason I completely disagree about amnesty periods and any other gimmick that would enable illegals to remain. While not all hardened criminals and some under financial or political duress (arguably), their initial disregard for the rule of law makes them suspect. Slippery slope and all that.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I say we just do a Lex Luther on California in general. Drop it into the ocean via the fault line! (not really, there are lots of good people there and it's a beautiful place, but it really pisses me off it's so fked up) :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts