SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I traded my Sig Swat and all my 223/556 stuff for a ................
wait for it!!!...........................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................
........................................................................................almost......................
.......................................wait...........................................

I picked up a NIB Socom II witha NIB Eotech 552, 1 5rd mag and 7 20rd mags and a 200rd Battle pack!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very nice! I have a Scout model and it's a good shooting piece. A couple of caveats - SAI now uses very few US GI parts (Because there are very few US GI parts left in the commercial market.) And those that are out there tend to come at a high premium. Be mindful of the SAI extractor and extractor spring, they tend to be a little weak. Also check the SAI op-rod for trueness.

Mags - Check the mags that you got with your trade. If you have good mags, they'll be made of steel and have 12 or 13 welds on the front side. They should also be park'ed not blued.

Lube - Designed in the '30's (an M14 was simply an M1 with a shortened gas system and a magazine feed vice an en bloc clip) the platform was meant to run with grease. Many old-timers swear by lubriplate. I've gotten good results with TW-25B. A key area often overlooked by owners is the bolt roller - insure it gets a good pack of grease. A .45 case works well in this capacity.

Cleaning - It's a piston design, so the bolt, receiver and trigger pack stay pretty clean. Be sure to do a thourough job of cleaning the chamber. Every so often, lock the bolt to the rear, point the rifle at the ground then point the rifle at the sky. You should here the gas piston sliding. If you don't, then it's time to clean the piston.

Shoot and enjoy!

Leb

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hope you like it and have LOTS of $$$$ for ammo, .308 is a little to pricey for me out of a semi auto :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
A good friend had one with the extended Burris low power scope it shot awesome. Even with the low power scope 100 yards was a breeze. Even out to two hundred yards was easy. Congrats

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just seconding the recommendation to use grease instead of lube.

Friend uses Slipstream Grease on his. Its expensive but works awesomely well per buddies experience. I've got no experience with the grese, but I do like their regular lube.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I second the SA extractor issues. My M1a scout needed a USGI replacement extractor due to failures to extract from a real shallow factory extractor.

Since then it runs great. It is an out of the box amazingly accurate semi-auto. Great pig gun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went to the Range and I must say " I LIKE IT" It's fun to shoot, I'm not as fast with it as my AR or Sig, But the speed will come in time.. I hope the mag well will loosen up reloads are a pain.. There too Snug..

I ran about 120 rds threw her and had 2 Failure to Fire. It was the ammo There were primer strikes and the rounds were Hot so they were most likely slow burners..German Mil surplus..
I lubed it with Slide Glide and She's a shooter I was 2" low in the 10 ring
using the Irons @ 100 yards and my eye sight sucks.. : )

Back to the Duracoating I'll post pictures tomorrow!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice rifle, but in a OMGZOMBIE scenario, I'd rather have the Sig. I'm also not a fan of the SOCOM since mine had major carbon fouling issues. I recently bought another one, but haven't tested it out yet. Hopefully this one is better.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
kick-a$$ job with the duracoat!

Looks great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts