SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have bug out bags prepared? If so what do they contain? I do not have a formal "bag" so to say and frankly all of my camping/survival stuff is scattered around my house and garage and probably could be gathered in less than an hour. I have friends who have the "bag" in there coat closet by the front door....paranoia, maybe...prepared, definitely. What would a scenario where such a device would be deployed? I do not think that a Red Dawn scenario would ever happen here and I dont htink Obama is going to show up to my house and ask me to give him my guns, so why is the concept of having a bug out bag gaining so much momentum recently? To be quite honest, I live on Long Island...there arent many hiding spots here and if such a scenario did take place; I dont think I would be able to get off this f'in island anyway. I would assume there would be some form of navy off the east coast so my 19 foot boat would get blasted and probably wouldnt have the range to get to the mainland.

I am just very curious about this concept, please enlighten me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Youtube Nutnfancy. He may be a little cooky sometimes, but he explains everything in one of his videos.

·
Registered
472 Posts
nutfancy... I really dont like that guy. I just can't trust a guy who self promotes. e.i. youtube videos

B.O.B. reflects your suroundings of where you spend the most time.

I live in a small town with quick access to the woods. Therefore I have a spare set of truck keys to get out of a populated area. First Aid kit, well the kit I kept from the Army. And some rain gear, both camo and high vis color. If I can't get to my truck I will stay in the house. if my power went out I could last 3 days on the water we have. Food will alst wuiet a while.

I also have food, a water purafier, extra ammo (5.56mm, 12 guage) in the tool box of my truck to last two people 3 days. 200x5.56mm and 50xgame shot 50xbuck shut and 20x"less then lethal" torpedos to go into town. Plus some automotive essentials, oil, gas can and windshield wipers. Never ever forget a lighter and a gerber tool, I always carry those on me.

I know alot of people are going to respond to this topic. We all have different out looks on our own BOBs. Because of our surroundings, they will all be different.

Just remember the 6 P's

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Geardo

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you just drive around with all that ammo in your car all the time????? I think that would be frowned upon by the police here in NY.

·
Registered
682 Posts
bluefin556 said:
So you just drive around with all that ammo in your car all the time????? I think that would be frowned upon by the police here in NY.
Actually that would be frowned upon in a lot of places. Legal yes, questionable probably.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah... It's not really that much.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Last time I checked we still have the freedom to carry ammo in our cars(thank god), so I applaud you Geardo and so do the 3 boxes of 9mm laying on my truck floorboards next to the spent casings. Would look kinda odd if I was pulled over though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
why B.O.B.

door to door gun conf. has already happened in N. O. La.
so don't dismiss it so quickly.

the bigger threat is a natural disaster. earth quake, storm, ect.
the one i worry about is never discusted. Most of the goods we buy now in this country , comes from over seas. just go to the store and try to find supplies made in the United States.
a large portion of food stuff is also imported .
if China, wanted to hurt us, all they need do is stop shipping goods to the U.S.
most store shelves , including food would be empty in a week.
Then the worse case SHTF , would be opon us.
even before you think about a B.O.B. you need to deside what you are willing to do to survive. if you are not willing to do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING!,
then what is in your B.O.B.( and ladies that does not stand for battery operated doyfriend lol) won't matter .
just my .02

·
Registered
472 Posts
cheney said:
Last time I checked we still have the freedom to carry ammo in our cars(thank god), so I applaud you Geardo and so do the 3 boxes of 9mm laying on my truck floorboards next to the spent casings. Would look kinda odd if I was pulled over though.
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: why B.O.B.

pistol fixer said:
you need to deside what you are willing to do to survive. if you are not willing to do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING!,
then what is in your B.O.B.( and ladies that does not stand for battery operated doyfriend lol) won't matter .
just my .02
Of course I would do whatever was needed for any given situation to survive. If there was some kind of outside force threatening our great country, I would do everything I could to defend it as I am sure all of you would too.

But why are these bug out bags gaining so much popularity these days? political climate? economic?

·
Registered
188 Posts
AWARENESS is the short answer. We don't live in the sunshine lolipop world that society in a whole would like us to think and people are waking up to it. Bad things can and do happen to good people all the time. With a little preparation, training, and ingenuity it increases your chances that you will not be a victim. The old sheep analogy comes to mind.

·
Registered
161 Posts
cheney said:
AWARENESS is the short answer... With a little preparation, training, and ingenuity it increases your chances that you will not be a victim.
Amen to that, brother. I believe a sharp mind coupled with some kind of plan is your best bet. A lot of folks, not necessarily this group, but... A lot of folks put together a BOB for the purposes of peace of mind. The sense of security is not security.

I'm no expert, but I believe advanced planning and determining what triggers a bug-out verses what what determines staying put is critical. For example, if significant civil unrest breaks out, at what point would I need to depart these four walls - and for where? It is different for each of us, but ultimately... Making those kinds of decisions under duress is more difficult and prone to error. A little bit of real planning, taken to logical conclusion, buys you both peace of mind and hopefully safety. Katrina taught us that our neighbors may have zero situational awareness, no plan whatsoever, and will make decisions that will kill them, i.e. getting trapped in the ceiling of one's own abode only to drown when the water reaches the roof.

Oh and... My BOB is pre-staged at my fallback location.

Just my two Litas on the subject,

Jack

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I keep mine in my truck. It's good to have in case of a breakdown in a remote area without cell service or a blizzard to make it until emergency vehicles can reach you or you can walk somewhere safe. I've been in blizzards where you can't see the house 10 ft from you so you stay put until you can.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some of the "Bug out" stuff is just pure hysteria, especially the invasion of the US stuff! That being said, civil unrest, whether from political upheaval or natural disasters is a real and proven threat, as recent events have shown. Have a plan for getting out AND a plan for staying put, since you never know until it happens whether it is better to fight or to take flight!

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Actually, it seems everyone has their own idea of what they are bugging out from, and it seems different things are necessary, based on the scenario. I wonder if there is some consensus necessary as to what is going on first.

I started thinking about what should be in a BOB, and thought: spare credit card or ATM card or extra cel phone? I first though 'nah, that's stupid, if they are after you, you can't use a credit card', but then I thought, maybe there is a scenario where no one is after me - maybe I just had a major house fire, or a flood in which case an extra credit card is a VERY good thing. What about cash, or gold? Ever since 9/11 when it looked like the center of banking was under attack, I always keep some cash in my gun safe.

I guess my point is that a SHTF BOB to support me against the world looks different than a BOB where I'm assuming I can count on family, or friends, or society in general. So the question is: what scenario is your BOB ready for?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...i guess i'm totally unprepared... :shock: ...i don't have a "Bug Out" bag... :cry:

·
Registered
108 Posts
By looking at your location Ullie, it looks to me like you've ALREADY BUGGED OUT!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
goshawkdriver said:
By looking at your location Ullie, it looks to me like you've ALREADY BUGGED OUT!!! :D
...hey goshawkdriver

...i "BUGGED OUT" ~ 15 years ago ...but i do miss the "Good Ol' Days"... sometimes... :wink:

...here's a scan of a hardcopy pic i took many years ago...using a Licaflex SL ...thought i'd share...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I cannot match Ullie's Bug Out Vehicle (or is that bug out aircraft?) but I do have several bug out bags, each one for a different purpose. And I have each one stocked with differing equipment, depending on planned usages.

Here is what is in the bag I carry whenever I go off-roading on the ATV or RUV (side-by-side) -- in addition to a complete toolbox, cooler, camping bag, extra gas cans, water can, dog food for the hound, and of course a firearm or six...depending on how deep into the wilderness I plan to go....

Here's the RUV and my best buddy in the world waiting to go riding in it [actually, as you can see, the RUV is really his -- I just get to drive it for him]:

Here is the set of woods gear that is in the off-road "bug out bag" -- which in this case is actually a field utility box designed to be strapped down on an ATV/RUV:

Gerber shovel, pack saw, pruning/bone saw, and pruning/game shears:

Smith and Wesson BullsEye camp ax and game knife combo:

Gerber Profile and F.A.S.T. knives:

SOG Seal Pup knife with Kydex sheath (for personal defense):

Various illumination tools and a backup Gerber knife:

All designed to help get the RUV unstuck, or if that doesn't work, designed for you to camp out until you can hike out, or hunker down for time for help to arrive to rescue you.... Still have to install the WARN winch & winch/pulley kit, but not going back into the boonies until it is installed...just in case.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts