SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a MAGPUL CTR stock for my 556. It has the same amount of play whether the friction lock is engaged or not. Magpul says the SIG tube is the probable cause. Another member on here had the same issue and bought an aluminum commercial tube and the friction lock worked well after that. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the mil spec aluminum tube is forged where as the commercial aluminum tube is cast, making the mil spec tube obviously stronger. Are the mil spec tubes that are sold to the public still forged? If so I may sell the commercial CTR and buy a mil spec along with the tube.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess no one knows the answer to my first question. I even called several distibutors and could not get a clear answer. Be that as it may, I am planning to install a Vltor tube (at least it should be stronger than my stock plastic tube). My question is the Vltor is a 5 position tube whereas my stock tube is a 6 position tube. Am I giving up "extended length" by going with a 5 position? I usually extend my stock at all the way as I have long arms. Thanks.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ullie said:
...if they are mil-spec...i would just buy a commercial tube...since you already have the commercial CTR...and call it a day...this is not something to be concerned about...really
Well, you never know when you might run out of ammo and have to butt stroke someone to the head, a forged tube would help hold things together. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.