SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NICE!!! 8)

Craig Harrison, a member of the Household Cavalry, killed the insurgents with consecutive shots — even though they were 3,000ft beyond the most effective range of his rifle.

“The first round hit a machinegunner in the stomach and killed him outright,â€

·
Registered
682 Posts
Now that is what I call "reaching out and touching someone". :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Accuracy International sniper rifles...drool...!
8.59mm = .338 Lapua...more drool...!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
{QUOTE} Harrison killed one machinegunner with his first attempt and felled the other with his next shot. He then let off a final round to knock the enemy weapon out of action.

The shooting — which took place while Harrison’s colleagues came under attack — was at such extreme range that the 8.59mm bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target after leaving the barrel of the rifle at almost three times the speed of sound. {QUOTE}

...the 338 Lapua magnum enters the transonic reagion of flight @ ~ 1500 / 1800 meters ( or at a lessor range) before going sub-sonic...or about 2000 yards under "optimum" conditions of bullet weight / length and atmospheric conditions...time to target of under 3 seconds is just pure nonsense...

...three consecutive hits ?...punch in the numbers...then you decide...

... http://www.mega.nu/traj.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Ullie on this -- incredible shots that are attributable to a great rifle, a skilled sniper team, but a hell of a lot of really good luck and environmentals...nevertheless, I'd certainly take the shots if I could make the shots, especially in war time; but the media is full of beans on these stories...their job is not to report the story objectively, but to "make the news interesting."

The Prime Minister is on the hot seat for calling an old lady a bigot :oops: , so the news of the day is about the heroic soldiers of the British Empire making an impossible shot in the war on terror...trumping the Canucks even...sheer coincidence, I'm sure...! Me, put me down in the doubtful column :roll: , right underneath Ullie's name on that list....

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd be playing the lottery if I were that guy. And if one of those insurgents happened to live, I would put myself in a padded room since luck doesn't seem to be on their side in this case. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts