SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have or heard of the face of the bolt pitting (Where the case/primer and bolt are in contact). Called sig and they told me it was a ammo issue, gas blowing by the primer causing the damage. Funny, none of my other rifles that shoot the same ammo has this problem. Just want to know if this is a common or unique issue.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I haven't, but the answer Sig gave doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
ptr-91 said:
Funny, none of my other rifles that shoot the same ammo has this problem. Just want to know if this is a common or unique issue.
...the gas blow by around the primer can be caused by a number of reasons...none of them good...it's usually...but not always ammo related..." if " the other rifles shooting "the same" ammo don't have this gas cutting...IMO...something is wrong here...i would have your 556 checked out...including the headspace...by an experenced qualified "gunsmith"..that is...not a gun store techie...and it's important that you bring along some empty shell casings for him to examine....

...in the interest of your safty...i would not continue to fire your 556...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wouldn't there be damage to the primers if there was any type of gas blow by? I've had a pierced primers before (on another gun) and there was black (carbon) discoloration on and around the primer. Wouldn't this happen with gas blow by, it seems to me there would be more clues if blow by was happening. My fired cases and primers all are ok, no signs of over pressure or damage. The gun functions 100% also. I believe it is a metallurgy issue. Any recommendation's of a gunsmith that would measure headspace and check the gun over?
Sigs reply to this (sent them pics) was use different ammo, they didn't seem concerned at all with my safety or headspacing. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
ptr-91 said:
Wouldn't there be damage to the primers if there was any type of gas blow by? I've had a pierced primers before (on another gun) and there was black (carbon) discoloration on and around the primer. Wouldn't this happen with gas blow by, it seems to me there would be more clues if blow by was happening. My fired cases and primers all are ok, no signs of over pressure or damage. The gun functions 100% also. I believe it is a metallurgy issue.
...when reading your origional post i interpeted it to mean that you were experiencing gas blow by...apparently you're saying you are not...and also that your other rifles are not presenting this pitting when firing the same ammo......

...in any case...you "should not" be developing any "pitting" on the bolt face...something is going on...it could very well be a metallurgy issue...pitting has the potential to become the nuclei for developing fissures...which eventually can lead to the failure of the component...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts