SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Based on my own "backyard" 556 shooting, I believe that the 75 grain OTM (Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Prvi, Barnes) bullets that I have been using exclusively for hog hunting must yaw within the first couple of inches of penetration based on the 100% success rate I've had with single shot kills on hogs up to 500 pounds at ranges out to 225 yards and the subsequent necropsies showing total lung obliteration.

This view is supported by my visual results on one gallon milk jugs @ 100 yards.

One shot with one of the 75+ grain OTM results in an explosion of the milk jug, while a hit with 68-69 grain, 62 grain, and 55 grain all pale in comparison, sometimes leaving only a tiny bullet hole through the jug.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least my 5.56mm ammo supply is not limited to FMJs....still it is not long range sniper ammo.

But even then, one of my friends has been using his 6.8mm for deer hunting the last couple of years with all one shot kills, he swears by the cartridge.

The 6.8mm rounds are much more expensive to purchase or reload than the 5.56mm though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
lenardlex said:
That itch I've had to get something in 6.8 just got bigger after reading those links.
I keep wanting to like 6.8 SPC. But the price to feed the animal are just too steep to justify it in my mind. Most places sell 6.8 at ~ $1.00 a round for plinking ammo. Reloading is cheaper (as always), but cases and bullets are expensive as well. And then you have the one-time costs of shell holders and dies. So I'm still waiting for the prices to fall.

Leb

·
Registered
384 Posts
The cost of the ammo I could deal with. What's really been holding me back are the constant background rumors of it being "tweaked" again from Spec 2 to something new.

I'd hate to spend 2K on an LWRC in 6.8 only to have it out of spec a year later for the latest iteration of the 6.8 ammo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't think the tweaking is ammo related. It's more of a chamber geometry issue, as I understand it. I thought the "Spec II" chambers resolved the problem; you're the first person I've heard make mention of a Spec III. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that this is the first time I've heard about. Any links for further reading?

·
Registered
384 Posts
LebbenB said:
I don't think the tweaking is ammo related. It's more of a chamber geometry issue, as I understand it. I thought the "Spec II" chambers resolved the problem; you're the first person I've heard make mention of a Spec III. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that this is the first time I've heard about. Any links for further reading?
Nothing substantive, just the standard internet rumor stuff from different forms.

http://forum.lwrci.com/newforum/viewtop ... lit=6.8x43

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19114

·
Registered
36 Posts
The second document (WednesdayLandmarkBAnthonyWilliams.pdf) on page 19 shows the 6.5 Grendel having more energy than the 7.62 at 1000 meters. The BC on the 6.8 Rem is pretty low so it loses at lot of energy even at 300 meters.

To me, the 6.8 Rem just doesn't have the numbers to keep up with the 6.5 Grendel. Maybe those Swedes weren't crazy after all :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts