SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question when you look at the prices, but are the Barret rifles really that good? Looking at the prices, they are pretty steep. Though, their rifles are unique in some of their designs.

Looked at the Model 98B which comes in a .338 Lagua Magnum. Prices are a little steep compared to other rifles, but the design is way different as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
From everything I have read about the 98B, there are better rifles out there that actually cost less. Namely the Sako TRG 42. Granted it doesn't have the new technology, but it works, its slightly cheaper, and the performance tests I've read have been better. It all comes down to what one values in their weapon. Some may have to have the Barrett just because its a Barrett. Such is life.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
hylander said:
Probably a stupid question when you look at the prices, but are the Barret rifles really that good?
...Barret rifles are good...but not that good IMO...the only Barret worth it's weight is their "Light Fifty"...

...for a great purpose built rifle...i would choose a SAKO TRG every time...Accuracy Internationsl...Steyr...and SIG / Sig Sauer also make some great rifles too...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have been doing this rifle thing for the better part of 50 years. most any "sniper grade"
rifle ,( no matter the brand), will shoot better than 99 & 44/100 % of the shooters.
it all comes down to what you like, and what inflates your ego when you carry it to the range. I teach Police Sniper school, you can not believe how many departments spend thousands of dollars , because they must have the lateist and greatist this or that. then send a officer who can't shoot better than an 1.5" to 2" group at 100 yards.
one of the best bangs for the buck, is the Savage 110 Tactical, it will shoot 1/2 moa right out of the box. is that what i use. no it is not. I use an Styer SSG / with an Leupold MK4-M3 mildot 10 power for long range work ,and a Bushmaster BAR 10(.308) with a Leupold MK4-M3 mildot 10 power for short to mid-range or if i might need a quick follow up shot.
if you have a strong personality and can live with people thinking you are cheep or that you don't know what a good rifle is, then get a Savage 110 Tactical and put some good glass on it . Save lots of money.
I guess the point i am trying to make is, most people will never have a true need for a sniper rifle much less a $3k to $10k rifle. however if we only purchased what we really need , there would be more people out of work.
just my .02

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Good advice IMHO pistol fixer. I have a Savage 10FCP-K LE .308 and it shoots as good or better than myself. It only cost me $725 and is much more accurate than my Rem 700 that I sold. Savage rifles are highly underated. I have a Savage 17HMR that is also a tack driver.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a Barrett M82CQ, nothing much like it around that I could see. Did I NEED one?No. It was fun while it lasted but aftera while I saw a huge pile of money instead of a gun so it went down the road. Worth the money? Yep, like I said, there really isnt anything else in its class.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NavyDoc74656 said:
needed.....no

fun....yes
one of my uncles' many toys

Sheeze, can you say "Reach out and touch someone?"

·
Registered
186 Posts
here is my reach out and touch someone rifle. This is my grandson and I out having some fun.
i am the old fart standing behind the truck. lol
it is a Lahti 20mm x 138b. it fires a 6 once projo at close to 3000fps. muzzel energy is aprox. 47,000 foot lbs.

this is 3" thick steel plate, shot with a Lathi and armorer piercing ammo at 200yds.

the orignal operators manual states that it will shoot 1MOA out to its max. effective range of 6 KM(around 4 miles) and at 100 yrds will penatrate 37 feet of packed earth berm , or 27 inches of steel reinforced concrete.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
pistol fixer said:
here is my reach out and touch someone rifle. This is my grandson and I out having some fun.
it is a Lahti 20mm x 138b. it fires a 6 once projo at close to 3000fps. muzzel energy is aprox. 47,000 foot lbs.

this is 3" thick steel plate, shot with a Lathi and armorer piercing ammo at 200yds.

the orignal operators manual states that it will shoot 1MOA out to its max. effective range of 6 KM(around 4 miles) and at 100 yrds will penatrate 37 feet of packed earth berm , or 27 inches of steel reinforced concrete.
Wow, I've got to come shooting with you!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pistol fixer said:

Um, where do you buy one of these at?

·
Registered
678 Posts
pistol fixer said:

That looks a lot more like an Encyclopedia than a magazine, holy crap that takes a big round.

·
Registered
186 Posts
this is the second Lahti i have owned. the first one i purchased when i was 15 years old in 1965.
ordered it from an add on the back of a Marvel comic book.
it sold for $199.00 and ammo was .85 per round. in 1968 when GCA went into effect, i had to weld it up.
sold it to a Military surplus store in OKC.
there a couple of these for sale on gunbroker . they are selling for around $10,000.
here is a pic of a round of ammo for it. it is the blue tipped one setting next to a 50bmg and a 5.56 Nato round for size compairison.

·
Registered
37 Posts
NavyDoc74656 said:
needed.....no

fun....yes
one of my uncles' many toys

Good G_D Man, what happened to your head! LoL...
The Barrett Semi's ARE fun, and Ronnie Barrett is a GREAT guy...
But a "sniper rifle" they aren't...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts