SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Barrel heat

7K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Buck Rogers 
#1 ·
Feeling hot, hot, hot

Is there a recommended max use before overheating. I'm guessing these guns are desinged to be shot in full auto and handle alot of rounds in a combat scenario, but just curious if possible damage or a recomended level for casual outings.

I ask this because last weekend I shot 3 30-round mags back to back, as fast as possible. That was 90 rounds in a little over a minute. My barrel was really smoking. Literally, there was alot of smoke coming out of the vents on the handguard. I touched the barrell out of curiousity and it was damn hot.

I never thought 90 rounds would be a problem, but now that I saw smoke and heat am curious?

See less See more
#4 ·
If your shooting a 30 rnd mag just to see how fast it goes then you obviously have the $ to buy a new barrel IMO. You can't engage a Target and hit anything at range with fast enough rate of fire to damage the barrel. If your just spraying lead then you should get a 22 and throw it away when your done.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
if is should never be shot rapidly, why does military make full auto?

Another good video. This guy finished 30 rounds in 9 seconds!

Now that I think about it. Almost every military gun I can think of from M60 to MP5 to AK47 comes in full auto, so I don't think as crazy as you think to fire a weapon rapidly.

Here is 100 rounds in about 5 seconds through AR-15

#7 ·
Nobody runs full auto carbines with the anticipation of actually hitting anything, it is just used for suppression fire of enemy combatants. Normal GI's only carry around 200 rounds of ammo with them, shooting it all up in two minutes leaves them virtually unarmed until they return to camp - not a good idea.....if you blow all your ammo in two minutes, what are you going to do the rest of the day - call in airstrikes????

In fact, the military probably uses 250,000 rounds for suppression firing to 1 round for actually killing an enemy combatant.

Spraying lead all over the place as fast as you can looks great in the movies, but in reality it is a waste. :roll:

#8 ·
goo said:

Now that I think about it. Almost every military gun I can think of from M60 to MP5 to AK47 comes in full auto, so I don't think as crazy as you think to fire a weapon rapidly.

I've got a real nice 50 amp Plasma Cutter if you really want to put your rifle to the test and see just how hot your SIG can get! :lol:

#9 ·
For what it's worth... I sometimes like to engage in rapid fire "drills" mostly for fun. My rule regardless of firearm / cartridge.... No more than two full magazines fired per minute and a maximum of 100 rounds fired every 15 minutes. That can be limiting (and I can be impatient), so I usually have a .22 LR rimfire handy to shoot, too, while the centerfire is cooling.

#10 ·
GoodGuy said:
For what it's worth... I sometimes like to engage in rapid fire "drills" mostly for fun. My rule regardless of firearm / cartridge.... No more than two full magazines fired per minute and a maximum of 100 rounds fired every 15 minutes. That can be limiting (and I can be impatient), so I usually have a .22 LR rimfire handy to shoot, too, while the centerfire is cooling.
Thank you. Someone with a legitimate reply to my question.

Without anything scientific, I think this makes sense and it is about what I have been practicing (exclusive of the barrel smoke time last week).

#11 ·
SkyPup said:
goo said:

I've got a real nice 50 amp Plasma Cutter if you really want to put your rifle to the test and see just how hot your SIG can get! :lol:

Thanks smart ass. :D

#16 ·
...the "sustained rate of fire" is about 12 to 16 rounds per minute depending on the ammunition...barrel length and twist rate...and the ambient temperature...pretty much the same as any assualt type rifle...

...you'll reach the ammunition "cookoff point" by firing about 120 to 150 rounds in full auto...or as rapidly as you can pull the trigger without allowing the weapon to cool...

...unless you "absolutely abuse" the barrel...you'll be just fine...it is hammer forged and nitrided to a surface hardness of ~ 70 on the Rockwell C scale...

...just shoot her and don't worry about your barrel getting too hot...rapidly shooting off 2 or 3 thirty round mags won't hurt the barrel...if you exceed the sustained rate of fire after firing well over 100 rounds you "may" heat up you chamber to the degree that if you leave a round chambered...it may "cook off"...that is... "fire" due to the heat transfer...again...a little common sense goes a long way here...

...as a safty percaution against an accidental discharge...never leave a round chambered in a weapon that has been fired...or otherwise...always clear your chamber immediately after firing your weapon...good habit to get in... :wink:

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... ht=cookoff

No Bananas said:
I would think that any military type rifle like the AR-15 or Sig 556 could withstand more than 15 rounds per minute.
...the "sustained rate of fire" for assualt rifles is in the neighborhood of 12- 15 rounds per minute...this means that you can fire the weapon at this rate almost indefinately without seriously overheating it...

No Bananas said:
Sometimes I do some practice quick shots at the range (not just blasting) and I'll shoot about 30 rounds in a minute. Let it reat and do it again in 5 minutes or so. Is that abuse?
...NO ! ...rapid fire strings won't damage your weapon...however...your chamber will reach the "cookoff point" of the ammunition in about 120 to 140 rounds of continious fire...which can lead to an unintentional discharge in as little as 10 seconds or less if you leave a round chambered...you always need to clear your weapon between strings...

...a little common sense goes a long way...you need to let your gun cool down between strings...and it takes a while...sometimes as long as 30 minutes...running her too hot can cause malfunctions...dramatically increase wear...especially in the throat area in front of the chamber...and may reduce the "burst strength" of the barrel over time...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... ht=cookoff

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
ullie said:
....unless you "absolutely abuse" the barrel...you'll be just fine...it is hammer forged and nitrided to a surface hardness of ~ 70 on the Rockwell C scale...

...just shoot her and don't worry about your barrel getting too hot...rapidly shooting off 2 or 3 thirty round mags won't hurt the barrel
Thanks Ullie....That's about what I thought.

Good work SkyPup :roll:
:p :p :p :p :p

#20 ·
goo, I was just yanking your chain. :D

Truthfully, I have never emptied a magazine in rapid fashion in either of my SIGs, always shooting each handmade round in a cold calculated manner to make sure I hit exactly where I am aiming at.

But if I were to burn off three or four mags in a minute or so, it would be in one of my friends SIGs, not either of mine......just the way I roll. :wink:

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
pinzdriver said:
It sounds like most of you have never been to a real mechine gun shoot w remote controled airplanes, :shock: by the time the plane is shot down brass is pilled up to the knees. :D Go to www.mgshooters.com it makes knob creek look like a back yard picknick.
Bad Ass.....Skypup just pissed his pants....

Pinzdriver - You will like this one. 3,000 rounds per minute to chop down a tree!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.