SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Browning collector, I've personally experienced how much a BOSS system can inprove the accuracy of a bolt action rifle. It was through my interest in Browning products that drew me to Sig Sauer. I bought a BDA45 which is a Sig P220 with the Browning and Sig name on it. Now I have the Sig 556 and I think it has some great engineering but it certainly lacks in accuracy, at least the kind of accuracy I'm used to in Bolt action rifles. While taking off the flash hider to clean it, it occured to me that it wouldn't take much to make an adapter to allow a BOSS to be installed provided a thread die is even available. Since the barrel on this sig seams to react so dramatically to different loads maybe the BOSS could counteract the harmonics. Does anyone have an opinion. I'd love to hear it. Thanks

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I think you would likely be wasting your time. The fact that the SIG does not have a floated barrel, and also has the weight of the piston system hanging on it will be much more of a negative than adding a BOSS could ever offset. Your bolt action rifles had neither of these.

I am a big fan of the P-220, but had never looked at the BDA45. Can you tell us more about the SIG association?

Thanks,

Art

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're most likely right about the gas block issue. I think I'm probably just grabbing at straws since I'm out of other ideas to get this rifle shooting. In another post on accuracy, I spoke of my experience with the Sig 556. One of the first times to the range I shot a 5 shot 3/8" group with 22.5 grains of Varget and 60 gr. Sierra hollow points. I was very pleased and felt I had reached my goal to find the right load. Since then nothing close the that has been achieved. After 500 rounds, it's now a 2-1/2 to 3" gun. For a battle rifle, I can live with it. But I know it can do better

As far as the BDA; Browning introduced them back in the late '70's in 45acp, 38 Super, and 9mm. At the time they were being made is West Germany by Sig Sauer with the European mag release. Part are still interchangeable and a few of the guns are still available through GunBroker.com. The one I have seems to be rare. It's a stainless slide, barrel, and mag, with aluminum frame. I've never seen or heard of another one in stainless
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
186 Posts
Browning BDA/Sig 220

Browning is an importer, they contract with various Mfg. to build guns with the Browning name on them.
for years the Browning Over/Under shot guns were made in Belgium by FN.
Then in the late 70's or early 80's Browning O/U were made in Japan by Miroku. if you have the bucks you can still special order a Browning O/U made in Belgium , but they start out in the 10's of thousands of Dollars.
when Browning wanted to get into the semi auto pistol market in the 1970's they contracted with Sig, and called it a Browning BDA.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Browning BDA/Sig 220

it would only be the same if the Wright Bros., had bought an French airplane built by Louis Bleriot, called it a Wright Flyer then Flew it.

John Browning was a Great inventer but he is not Browning arms.
Ford, Chevy,Dodge and other US car companies have imported forein cars , but that does not really make them Fords,Chevys or Dodges does it?
Also i was not throwing rocks at Browning Arms, just trying to answer someones question about the connection between Browning and Sig.
have a great day.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts