SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the set in today. They seem well built except for the front being out of spec enough to require 30 minutes of labor to mod it for the install. Now that it is on, the damned pin won't align with the hole in the bolt so I've got it sticking half way out of the nut. Apart from that looking half ass, they look great on the gun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I spent about 30 minutes with a file too, Thought that they would be better than that for the price paid, look great once they are on though.

Anyone else have a problem with the rear drum " clicking " into each position? Mine doesn't have a defined position for the cqb position, and it is better on the others but still not very clicky.

I am wondering if recoil could make it change position while shooting?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yah, I'm debating getting a Swiss front sight, or maybe the SIG flip up front sight for my 522. I don't want to go thru the hassle I went thru with my 556.

ETA: well I guess I'm stuck:

Aurora Front and Rear Sights which are taller by ¼ of an inch then the Original SIG 550/1/2 yet lower than the SIG USA 556 Non-Hooded Flip Sight. It is our understanding that Aurora sights only line up with other Aurora sights. Derek if we are wrong just let us know.

Summery: Aurora Sights can ONLY be used in conjunction with Aurora sights.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Accomplice said:
Got the set in today. They seem well built except for the front being out of spec enough to require 30 minutes of labor to mod it for the install. Now that it is on, the damned pin won't align with the hole in the bolt
...i'm sorry that you had problems installing your sight Accomplice...but to assume it's out of spec is a strech...or it may be...or it could be an issue with tollerance stacking...which would involve the gas block's specifications...and yes...sometimes it's a bitch to align the pin...all in all...IMO...the Aurora sights are the closest you'll get to the Swiss sights...now that the front has the adjustable post...it covers the entire Swiss N range of sights...or close...great sights !

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Phazuka said:
Yah, I'm debating getting a Swiss front sight, or maybe the SIG flip up front sight for my 522. I don't want to go thru the hassle I went thru with my 556.

ETA: well I guess I'm stuck:

Aurora Front and Rear Sights which are taller by ¼ of an inch then the Original SIG 550/1/2 yet lower than the SIG USA 556 Non-Hooded Flip Sight. It is our understanding that Aurora sights only line up with other Aurora sights. Derek if we are wrong just let us know.

Summery: Aurora Sights can ONLY be used in conjunction with Aurora sights.
...you are aware that the Swiss front sights have 5 different height posts to compensate when the 55x series of rifles shoot a little high or low...actually 7 different heights...these are changed out at the factory when the guns are test fired...

...the origional Aurora front sights "ARE" the same height as the unmarked Swiss front...the one most commonly used...the newer adjustable Aurora front sights allow the user to "pretty much" take advantage of the full range of adjustment of the Swiss sights ...

...your summery is incorrect...and is based on "parroting" a "competetors" opinion...if you don't like the Aurora sights...don't use them...but please refrain from bashing them or making false statements regarding them...

...speak of thinks of which you know...and not of things of which you know nothing...it's isn't fair to the members to be misinformed by your anecdotal statements based on internet hearsay !

...IMO...the Aurora diopter set are the best available aside from the origional Swiss diopter sights....and i have extensive experience with the Swiss sights...and have also used and installed the Aurora...

·
Registered
40 Posts
The tight fitup of the front sight post is a good thing. Use a penetrating oil overnight prior to removal.
Gently tap to old one out and the new one into position after the oil does it's magic.

Follow ullie's instructions.

Accomplice said:
Now that it is on, the damned pin won't align with the hole in the bolt so I've got it sticking half way out of the nut
I had the same problem... the hole through the Aurora roll-pin disc is slightly off-center, causing a misalignment through the screw assembly.

I used a torch tip cleaner (small round file) to gently work away the misaligned material and ream a straight path through the assembly for the roll pin.

Gentle taps only. Never force anything or you'll end up with a sheared-off windage screw.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had issues with the roll pin early on. But it was because I didnt tighten the disc down enough which caused the hole to be misaligned. Using a roll punch to keep everything centered, the pin went in with no problems using light taps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I made sure that wasn't the case and rotated the disc about the screw to the closest position possible.

The pin-disc had the hole drilled slightly off the disc's neutral axis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts