SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen

I am an AR guy and have been building them for some time now... i have come to the darkside lol jk and i am awaiting the arrival of my Sig 556 pistol this week and need some clarification.

#1- Can you put a side folder from a 556 rifle on a pistol for an SBR?
-I found a stock online (a take off from a rifle) but the guy doesn't know if it comes with everything!? Here's a pic of the item:

#2- if you get the adapter to put a AR stock on it, can u run either the commercial version or the milspec depending on what buffer tube (i know the sig doesnt have a buffer but i dont know what else to call it LOL)

#3- would you go with the ACE side folder over the SIG version?

#4 Whats the major difference between all the "SWISS" parts and stuff versus the ones we get from the factory? Better quality? Do I need to change anything out with SWISS parts thats really going to make this rifle any better than what it already is? Whats with people changing the gas block for the SWISS version?

#5- anything i should do right off the bat?
- i know a couple things it will need is an AimPoint with BOBRO or LaRue Cantilever, Noveske KX3 or FSC556, Troy BUIS or HK Style ....Samson MFG or KZ rail, BOBRO broom handle, and im going to have the factory pistol grip stippled instead of rigging (i call it a "presidential selection" LOL) a AR grip for the 556....and some sort of SureFire or TLR2s light....

#6- is there any special way/tool/etc. to remove the factory SWAT rail from the 556? I dont want to have to cut or break anything to install a new one...

ANY INFORMATION I MISSED OR THAT A NOOB SHOULD KNOW, PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Thanks guys! :cheers:

·
Registered
284 Posts
The stock you have pictured above is for a classic receiver, and will not work on a P556, which uses the older receiver. The same is true for swiss stocks - they won't fit the P556. However, it has a plug in the back, where any A4 type stock can be added. I personally like the Ace folding mechanism with their flush mount receiver adapter.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but if you SBR a P556, you need to register it with BATFE on a Form 1 before you build it - and technically before you even acquire the parts to build it or else you can be found to be in 'constructive possession' of an unregistered NFA weapon, which is up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jalso said:
The stock you have pictured above is for a classic receiver, and will not work on a P556, which uses the older receiver. The same is true for swiss stocks - they won't fit the P556. However, it has a plug in the back, where any A4 type stock can be added. I personally like the Ace folding mechanism with their flush mount receiver adapter.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but if you SBR a P556, you need to register it with BATFE on a Form 1 before you build it - and technically before you even acquire the parts to build it or else you can be found to be in 'constructive possession' of an unregistered NFA weapon, which is up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Oh ok, thanks! That stock fitment issue is confusing to say the least...i dont even think i NEED a folder, but WANT one LOL i dont know if i am going to even think about a stock yet....just getting some ideas...

Yes sir, I am aware of that. I spoke with someone in LE and they told me that you can't have a stock on a weapon with a barrel shorter than 16" or else it'd be considered an SBR and hence, SBR's are illegal where i am fromp? ? I am going to ask the officer i know at the local PD to see what he says when i go to register the pistol....if its just a Form, then no problem...does that form 1 cost anything? is that like a tax stamp?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do believe you will need a tax stamp for a SBR.

·
Registered
62 Posts
556OPER8R said:
#6- is there any special way/tool/etc. to remove the factory SWAT rail from the 556? I dont want to have to cut or break anything to install a new one...
Some of the SWAT rails are really tight. The sticking point is where the tang on the rails goes into the lower (where the forward take down pin goes through). If it's tight, soak that area with some CLP, apply some heat, be patient. It will come loose. I thought mine was never going to come loose, but it finally did.

As for the stamp...I have no personal experience but I think it's $200. You'll also have to wait for the form to get approved which can take some time from what I've read. But the penalties for not going through the process are pretty stiff and I wouldn't start doing anything until I was approved.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The process can be a pain, and there are several ways to do it. I recommend the following:

Get a current copy of quicken will maker and download any updates.
Create a revocable living trust where you are the executor.
Add anyone else you want to be able to be in possession of the weapon to the trust as a trustee.
Add at least one beneficiary for the trust to be legal. I believe that trustees can also be beneficiaries, but that may differ from state to state.
Make sure that everyone in the trust (other trustees, beneficiaries, etc) is legally able to poses firearms, or the trust itself will no longer be able to own firearms (no children, criminals, etc).
Have a lawyer review the trust to make sure it's setup right and legal.
Transfer your P556 into the trust, and register the trust with anyone your State might require trusts to be registered with.

The reason for going the 'trust route' is that if you register it as an individual, only you can be in possession of the weapon. With a trust, anyone who is a trustee can be in possession of the weapon. You also don't need to get the chief law enforcement officer's signature on your form 1 application (many CLEO's wont sign it, since they are under no obligation to), and you don't have to supply FBI fingerprint cards with the form 1 (which speeds up the process by a couple months).

Then you need to send a copy of your declaration of trust, a certification of compliance, a form 1 application (1 page printed on both sides), and a $200 cashiers check to BATFE's NFA branch. You should get your approved form 1, with stamp, in around 3 months or so.

Then have the upper receiver engraved with your trusts name, city and state in accordance with BATFE regulations (you could also do this while you wait if you're sure your application will be approved). I'd send it off to Orion Arms to do the engraving. Use some perma blue to darken and protect the engraved text.

Finally, build your SBR, and change the description of the weapon in your trust from P556 pistol to P556 short barrel rifle.

Then put the original documents in a safe place, and make a bunch of copies. Put one in your gun case, one in your car, one in the stock, a small one in your wallet, etc. You never want to find yourself in a situation where you can't provide a copy of your approved and stamped form 1.

This is obviously just a real quick overview of the process, and there are resources all over the net with more detailed info, but this will help get you started.

I highly recommend that after looking into the process, call the BATFE's NFA branch, and make sure that you've got all your i's dotted and t's crossed before submitting your paperwork. The process and requirements do change from time to time.

http://www.nolo.com/products/quicken-wi ... s-WQP.html
http://www.orion-arms.com/
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

BATFE NFA branch: 304-616-4490

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jalso

Thanks so0o0 much for the information! I would say this is a very good starting point! Awesome! :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts