SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a 9mm. I had a Glock 19 some years back and it was an excellent pistol, but just didn't fit my hand all that great. I held both the Walther P99 and H&K P30 and both fit like a glove. I mean I've NEVER held pistols that felt like these before. I'm very impressed.

There isn't a huge price difference. H&K is obviously more expensive. Which would you go with and why? I'm kinda leaning towards the P30 because of the interchangeable side straps and the fact you can get it with the LEM trigger (Variant 2), but both pistols are fine examples of German engineering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My brother owns a SW99 by smith and wesson. basically a p99. It even uses p99 magazines. It is a great gun. sweet trigger pull and super short reset trigger. You should try the new 4th generation glocks with the interchangeable backstraps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an older model Wather P99, I like it very much. I got it back in the late 90's and it was the first real ergonomically designed pistol I owned.

I haven't tried an HK P30 yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although the Walther P99 is an excellent pistol, I highly recommend the HK P30. Most of HK's customers are Military types who do not tolerate any shortcuts in design or manufacture. Ever since they started the company in the early 1960's, most of HK's output went to Military services around the world. So it is no wonder that HK has adapted to the Military's strict requirements. This is a little more expensive, but the resulting weapons represent the best that is available at the time. Manufacturers who serve the LE and commercial markets simply would not able to stay in business without taking reasonable shortcuts in design and manufacturing. There are a few commecial weapons manufacturers who hit just the right balance of compromise. Walther certainly are masters in that art. That is why it is world famous for its firearms. If HK would decide to do their main business in the commercial market without making some compromises, they would be out of business in a very short time. Relatively few customers are willing to pay for that last inch in quality and reliability. I have had HK pistols ever since th P7 came out in 1985. Although I shoot a lot, I have not had a single problem with any of them. My P30 isn't any different. Shoots great and feels like a dream. There is an interesting post on the Pistol Training website ( http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668 ) where the owner did a P30 endurance test - 91,322 rounds, 13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages.

·
Registered
22 Posts
...i agree with doghaus!

...HK might be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

...i've rented the P30 a couple of times, nice gun...it's next on my list for my girlfriend, she loves it :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own a P99 and P2000, each in 9mm. I'd easily recommend the P99 over the P2000. They're both excellent pistols, quality and reliability are top notch.

However, the AS trigger on the Walther vastly exceeds the trigger on the P2000. I can't speak to the P30, but I've heard they're similar.

I like HK, but to me the Walther has proven itself to be more accurate and every bit as reliable. The only point I think HK has over the Walther is the standard length accessory rail - with the Walther you'll be relegated to the Insight light/laser.

Either way, you're going to own an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an HK P30, which I carry pretty regularly. The trigger, as Bond007 rightly notes, is not stellar, particularly in the reset category. The ergonomics, on the other hand, are excellent and I've yet to have any malfunctions over the 1500 rounds or so that I've put through it. All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. Can't speak to the Walther as I haven't shot one. Happy buying! :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually just purchased the HK P30 in 9mm. I chose the HK over the Walther mainly due to ergonomics. It's the most comfortable pistol I've ever held. Period. It just feels right.

I took it to the range and I'm very happy with it. I got the LEM trigger which I highly suggest over the DA/SA. I have a spring kit on the way which will give a constant trigger pull of 4.5 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aaron said:
I took it to the range and I'm very happy with it. I got the LEM trigger which I highly suggest over the DA/SA. I have a spring kit on the way which will give a constant trigger pull of 4.5 lbs.
...nice pistol...however...i would have avoided the LEM trigger for a number of reasons..read your owners manual carefully...DA/SA is the only way to go with this type IMO...i recently purchased a HK P2000SK for a CCW for my wife in DA/SA...i avoided the LEM for safty and "long term" reliability issues..with that trigger system...a 4.5 pound pull is too light...IMO anyway...be careful and stay safe...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ullie said:
Aaron said:
...nice pistol...however...i would have avoided the LEM trigger for a number of reasons..read your owners manual carefully...DA/SA is the only way to go with this type IMO...i recently purchased a HK P2000SK for a CCW for my wife in DA/SA...i avoided the LEM for safty and "long term" reliability issues..with that trigger system...a 4.5 pound pull is too light...IMO anyway...be careful and stay safe...
The Glock has a constant trigger pull of 5.5 lbs and a very short trigger pull at that. MUCH shorter than the P30 LEM. Not sure if you've pulled the trigger on a P30 LEM, but it is VERY long. However, on follow up shots the P30 has a shorter trigger reset allowing for faster follow up shots.

I consider it safer than a Glock...which I consider very safe anyway. The P30 has a Firing Pin Block as well. Why wouldn't the LEM be reliable in the long term? I think it's been out since 2001.

HK actually sells the P30 with the 4.5 lbs pull out of the box in Europe. It's called the Variant #1 and I have Variant #2. It's on it's way to the US, but I didn't want to wait so I bought the spring kit directly from HK. Since it comes factory that way from HK I'm not worried at all. If it was from an after-market company and was never "meant to be" then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention the 2009 50,000 Round Endurance Test: HK P30 LEM. It was meant to be a 50,000 endurance test. Then it went to 75,000. Then...

From 1-May-09 to 19-Mar-10 — 322 days — the pistol fired 91,322 rounds.

Of those 322, it spent 130 days at the range, averaging over 700 rounds per trip. In 91,322 rounds, the gun was only cleaned fifteen times — once going over 12,000 rounds between cleanings. It was rarely lubed more often than once every 4-5,000 rounds. Between the time when the mainspring was replaced (turned out to be out-of-spec) and the gun’s final death throes, there were only three stoppages… that’s less than one stoppage per 27,000 rounds fired.

I think it's safe to say the LEM is reliable. This is the same exact pistol I purchased. I have full confidence.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1406

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aaron said:
I would like to get a 9mm. I had a Glock 19 some years back and it was an excellent pistol, but just didn't fit my hand all that great. I held both the Walther P99 and H&K P30 and both fit like a glove. I mean I've NEVER held pistols that felt like these before. I'm very impressed.

There isn't a huge price difference. H&K is obviously more expensive. Which would you go with and why? I'm kinda leaning towards the P30 because of the interchangeable side straps and the fact you can get it with the LEM trigger (Variant 2), but both pistols are fine examples of German engineering.

I own a P99 and P1700 and it's a good choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only pistol I trust more than a Walther is a Glock. Owned a P99 and had 10k rounds through it with two stoppages that were not my fault. The gun cleaned and maintained of course. I'm very regimented with cleaning and maintenance.

Sold that for an HK45c. Hated it. Sold that and got two brand new Glocks. They are without a doubt (IMHO) the finest and most reliable hand guns ever made. Neither weapon has ever failed unless I made a mistake...and we're talking 15k rounds between the two of them. They are simple and they are cheap. So if something does go wrong, its an easy and fast fix. Glocks are on record with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Glock has one actually with over a million through it.

I know this the Sig forum...so I won't leave them out, great guns as well. Ultimately its about what you are comfortable with and even more importantly...what you will train hard and often with.

Just my .02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts