SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Anyone Have A Favorite 45 ACP Powder?

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  angrybevr9 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a favorite 45acp powder? I'm currently using Winchester 231 and seems to do the job. I was just wondering if someone has a little cleaner powder and load to push a 230 grain copper plated bullet down the barrel.

Thank you,

#5 ·
mplebra what is your load in Winchester 231 for 230 grain lead with copper coat 45 cal bullets? I have been using about 5.0 grains. They seem flat shooting and hard hitting. :)

#6 ·
I usually use 5.9 grs of 231 for 230 gr full metal jacket. If I am loading 230 gr hollow points, then I use 5.4 grs of 231.

I know 5.9 for a 230 fmj is considered hot or exceeds the recommended loads in some of the newer manuals, but... I have inherited my grandfathers and fathers library and they date back to the 50's. 5.9 was considered middle of the road.

Also, you have to know your gun and its tolerances. I shoot this load in a proven 45, I know it can handle my loads. I would not try it in some of the newer guns on the market.

Load with caution, start with a lesser amount of powder and work your way up until you find the load that works for you and your purpose.

#11 ·
There are several powders out there that can cross platforms. Titegroup was originally designed as a shotgun powder. If you are willing to experiment a little, try Clays or Univ Clays. I use Clays for my 12 and 20 ga shotguns with great success. I feel it is a little cleaner burning than Titegroup, but both are excellent powders. I also still stand by my Win 231 loads for the .45 ACP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.