SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how that worked, what the costs were and how it performed after. Thanks,

·
Registered
62 Posts
I do not know anyone who has done that. Why would someone give up barrel length on a 16' barreled .223? You would get lower the velocity, make it less effective and install a long ugly flash hidder. (????) It would still be as long as it was when you started out.

What would a person gain?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ercarr said:
I do not know anyone who has done that. Why would someone give up barrel length on a 16' barreled .223? You would get lower the velocity, make it less effective and install a long ugly flash hidder. (????) It would still be as long as it was when you started out.

What would a person gain?
It would not be as long when you were done. It would be shorter, lighter and handier. As it stands you have a 16" rifle barrel and a flash hider that is (let's say for easy math) 2". So that is 18" minus .5" for the overlap at the threads for a total of 17.5" from the rear of the barrel forward.

When you take a 14.5" barrel and permanently attach the same muzzle device, you get 14.5" plus 2" minus .5" for the thread overlap for a total of 16" from the rear of the barrel forward.

You lose a little velocity to gain a little handiness. It is shorter but isn't an SBR with all of the related hassle and expense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Being in Massachusetts I am thinking of doing that (with a muzzle brake though), but to a 556 SCM.

Most smiths around here charge $80-$100 for threading and blind pin perm attach. The barrel cut and re-crown would be god part of expense and what I have to check on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just got my approved form 1 back recently. i'll be cutting mine to [roughly] 13" so it'll be close to correct 551 length with an A1 flash hider added.

i'll be sending the barrel out to steve at ADCO for the cut, crown, and thread job since he knows what he's doing... they charge about $65 for the above.

the extra cost involved in this job was an M-Fing expensive tool for holding the receiver while removing the barrel. oh well. i'll sell it off for 75% of what i paid later on. i'll get some of my money back, and someone else will get a like-new tool for much cheaper.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am going to have one of my 556's done with my AAC mount perm attached, I am going to do the same thing with my MSAR, called Tornado Technology to see if they would do it and they never called me back, I have visited ADCO's website but was turned off by all of the " rules " that they have listed regarding shop services.

One thing to consider is that the larger diameter flash hiders interfere with the gas system being removed on a shorter barrel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ilintner said:
I am going to have one of my 556's done with my AAC mount perm attached, I am going to do the same thing with my MSAR, called Tornado Technology to see if they would do it and they never called me back, I have visited ADCO's website but was turned off by all of the " rules " that they have listed regarding shop services.

*snip*.
don't hesitate to use ADCO. they are top-notch.

before you do however, please verify what you intend to do with AAC. some silencer manufacturers will NOT warranty their cans if the mounts have been permanently attached.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bullyforyou said:
just got my approved form 1 back recently. i'll be cutting mine to [roughly] 13" so it'll be close to correct 551 length with an A1 flash hider added.

i'll be sending the barrel out to steve at ADCO for the cut, crown, and thread job since he knows what he's doing... they charge about $65 for the above.

the extra cost involved in this job was an M-Fing expensive tool for holding the receiver while removing the barrel. oh well. i'll sell it off for 75% of what i paid later on. i'll get some of my money back, and someone else will get a like-new tool for much cheaper.
Why don't you just send the upper to ADCO and have them do it? Are they able to get the barrel off?

·
Registered
74 Posts
bullyforyou said:
can you post a few PICs of the tool? and maybe some info like.. what type metal?, how thick?, and where it clamps onto the upper?

i might try cutting and milling one at my work.

thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Accomplice said:
bullyforyou said:

Why don't you just send the upper to ADCO and have them do it? Are they able to get the barrel off?
i don't know that they have the tool... it's also quick and easy for them to cut the barrel. the few that i've had them do were turned around in 4 or 5 days. i'd rather just pull the barrel myself, than add to the cost and time in getting it cut.

·
Registered
49 Posts
siggy556cent said:
bullyforyou said:
can you post a few PICs of the tool? and maybe some info like.. what type metal?, how thick?, and where it clamps onto the upper?

i might try cutting and milling one at my work.

thanks
i thought about doing the same. it just takes me forever to get on that stuff. i figured i can get this all wrapped up in two to three weeks if i just buy the tool. if i make one, i'll probably still be screwing with it in two to three weeks...

check colorado gun sales for pics of the tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts