Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC45ACP recently posted his newly modified SOCOM II with it's UBR stock and other bells and whistles. Very nice looking rifle! Opinions on this set-up vs. a new FN SCAR 17S.

SOCOM II effective range out to ~800 yds. Does the SCAR share the same effective range? At about the same price range in the ballpark of $3K (+/-), what are the pros and cons of each?

I guess the question is: If you had $3K to dump into a semi-auto 308, do you go with AC45's SOCOM II set-up or the SCAR? (I know where Clyde's going to vote on this one... :roll: )

Just curious...

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own three M1As, 22" Standard, SOCOM II and SOCOM 16. They are great rifles, each of them. Accurate, well-built, totally reliable, extremely durable, and if the SHTF today, I would grab one first (since I can't get a 7.62 SCAR yet). The UBR stock and the SAGE EBR setup are very interesting ways to modernize the rifle, and it makes a great rifle even better, as in greater.

That said, it is an older design, and it does have some issues (slamfires can occur without staked primer ammo, and it needs grease if you're going to keep it running). But it is still America's battle rifle (witness: you still see them in use everywhere in the Sand Box) and it has served and saved many soldiers in war.

It is time for a new battle rifle to emerge (as distinguished from assault rifle). I am of the opinion that the SCAR Mk 17 (and the commercial 17S version) is that rifle. I have fired the Mk17, both full auto and semi, and it is a fantastic weapon. Amazing accuracy. Best quality. USSOCOM is now procuring these for Special Forces to use. I plan to buy one as soon as these are available.

So, I know it may have been predictable, but to me, the weapon of choice is the FN SCAR 17S. If you drop me anywhere in the world tomorrow and I have to make it alone, it would be the weapon I would want. Nothing else compares....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Clyde what if you don't mind me asking do you do for a living? You have one of the most impressive weapons collections I have heard of.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do I need to Vote? :D

$3000 OMG Did I spend that MUCH!!! :shock: :oops: :cry: :p :x :D Don't tell my Wife!! I told her it only cost $900 ; )

I say BUY AMERICAN BUY SPRINGFIELD!!!!!!

MINE

Scar

·
Registered
263 Posts
AC45ACP, the FN SCAR was designed for US SOCOM, with direct input from Special Forces operators and armorers...these are made in Belgium for now, but are soon to be made in South Carolina...where FN makes the M-16, M249 SAW and M240 (a/k/a MG58)...FN makes 70% of the small arms used by the U.S. military.... The SCAR Mk17 will be the weapon that our elite [Special Forces] warfighters carry into battle today in Southwest Asia, and when the current economic crisis ends (along with a very costly war in two countries) and the military leadership quits cutting budgets, it will be widely deployed. These are both great battle rifles, one from our past, and one for our future....

Zombiehunter27, I can only say that I am a highly trained licensed professional. But thank you for your compliment on my armory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Clyde said:
AC45ACP, the FN SCAR was designed for US SOCOM, with direct input from Special Forces operators and armorers...these are made in Belgium for now, but are soon to be made in South Carolina...where FN makes the M-16, M249 SAW and M240 (a/k/a MG58)...FN makes 70% of the small arms used by the U.S. military.... The SCAR Mk17 will be the weapon that our elite [Special Forces] warfighters carry into battle today in Southwest Asia, and when the current economic crisis ends (along with a very costly war in two countries) and the military leadership quits cutting budgets, it will be widely deployed. These are both great

battle rifles, one from our past, and one for our future....

Zombiehunter27, I can only say that I am a highly trained licensed professional. But thank you for your compliment on my armory.
I know where there made and I owned a few FNP, I was trying to be a smart ass!

I love your scars by the way and I would realy love to own one in the near furture.
I'm going through a Retro firearm faze 1911's a M1a and Im tryin to get my grease paw on a local 1945 M1 a coworker wants to sell... I have a sickness and I need help!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware you were being a smarty aleck.... Besides, if we were to limit ourselves to only buying American, we could not own a SIG 556....

To me, I don't think there is any reason not to own one or the other of these guns. They are both great weapons, and both great designs. And they are 7.62 thumpers that can chew through cover and end a fight if you are unlucky enough to find yourself in one (or if you're being paid to be in one...).

The SOCOM II is a heavy beast, over 12 pounds empty, but that really helps absorb recoil, and with the vertical grip, is very controllable and fun to shoot. Off the GripPod, it is an amazing weapon, and with a 25 round mag, you can really lay down accurate suppressive fire.

The SOCOM 16 is very handy, easy to wield, and weighs in around 9 pounds. It is just about the perfect 7.62 rifle, unless you want a 1000 yard gun...but that is what bolt guns are for. For a semi-auto gas gun, it is a blast to shoot & carry.

The SCAR is around 8.5 pounds (empty) but it has the adjustable folding stock, and adjustable cheek rest for switching between BUIS and optics. It is very controllable in semi-auto, and is amazingly accurate. And you can carry it all day without wearing yourself out, if you had to. Also, easier to care for than the M1As -- if you go on FNH-USA's web site, and click on the military link, there is a video of a guy field stripping one on the hood of a HUMVEE in around a minute.

As I said, if I had to pick only one, the SCAR 17S would be the one. But truth be known, I really like the option of having the other M1As to shoot as well. You really can't go wrong either way. Is this a great country or what? :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
COMPARE

I dont think there is a choice here.

Hands down = The FN SCAR 17 = WINS !

Many reason, some listed but not limited to :

1. Weight
2. Accuracy
3. Versatility

Both are amazing rifles but the 17 is nearly 3 lbs les weight. The 17 can shoot 1" to 1/2" groups with the proper ammunition and that isn't bad for a production battle rifle.

We are also looking at WW 2 techmology compared to the best Modern Technology has to offer !

Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well IMHO.
Determined by the attention span of everyone on the internet who must IMMEDIATELY have all the accessories, conversion kits, stocks, grips, fore ends, blah blah blah .......

Any MIA setup currently has far more versatility and modularity than the Scarzilla17 which will be hindered by slow-to-market aftermarket toys.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Tom, have you actually handled the rifle or are you basing this opinion off of projected data of a gun yet to be released. Anyone heard of the ACR? I will believe it is all that when it's in my hand. The IPhone 4 was supposed to be "the shit". How's that working out Apple?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Scar 17s comes with a 16 inch barrel in civilian use. Law enforcement can get a 20 inch barrel on their version. Personally, I would prefer a little bit longer barrel than the 16 inch. Just a personal choice.

Not sure if they will allow you to upgrade. Looked at their site and it makes no mention of it.

Edit: Looking at the prices so far: In Georgia, they range from 3100.00 to 3370.00 for the SCAR 17s with the 16 inch barrel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Alright, let's start a debate: SCAR 17S vs. SOCOM II MS

Too late. I bought AC45ACP's SOCOM II.

I like it... a lot!

Racer5

1 - 17 of 17 Posts