SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want one so this is not a 7.62x39mm vs. 5.45x39mm. I already have an AK-47.

My question is which are the best to get?

I am leaning towards the Arsenal Russian ones, and yes, I am prepared to spend that much. But are they that much better than the Polish, Hungarian, or Bulgarian ones? The Polish Tantals are everywhere and cheap but I hate that folding wire stock and they do not have the Warsaw style optics clamp rail. Two things that will make the cost go up as a I replace the stock and add the rail. I've seen some Bulgarian and Hungarian ones that fit the bill but they are always within $50 of what the price on the Russian Arsenal AK-74s cost. Is that extra $50 worth it to get a Russian one?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
If I was gonna get another AK, I would get an Arsenal Inc or Krebs Custom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly the one I am leaning towards ullie. It or the standard model; both are Russian made but I still can not figure out the difference between the Special and the Standard, other than the muzzle brake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Arsenal AK's

I have several AK's among them are 3 Arsenal's. Next to the spiked blade early Poly Tech's and Ledgends they are by far the best made and worth what they cost. Krebs are also well made but cost more than the Arsenal for the same? quality
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Muad'dib said:
That is exactly the one I am leaning towards ullie. It or the standard model; both are Russian made but I still can not figure out the difference between the Special and the Standard, other than the muzzle brake.
...Muad'dib

...i provided the link as general information only...i would call Arsenal direct and have their technical department answer any technical questions you have...as their product line seems to change from time to time...as i'm sure some minor specifications do also...

...IMO...you can't go wrong with an Arsenal...these people know how to put together an AK type...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I bought the Arsenal Saiga SGL 31. I am pleased and this thing, with iron sights, is as accurate as I could hope for; much more so than my AK-47. I will say that the US made parts disappointed me. They were painted and so lost a lot of their black on the first cleaning. My compensator looks like it has mange, part bare metal and part black. Also, compared to my Chinese '47, there is no rattle or looseness to be found. I now have a great range gun that will not break the bank on ammo. I got >2K rounds the week after I bought it for less than $300. Though, 5.56 NATO is coming down so maybe the SIG 556 will start seeing more time at the range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
New AK on the way for me. Bought an EAA Zastava PAP with thumbhole sporter stock and picatinny rail. Some think it's ugly, personally I think a regular AK stock is ugly. Don't care that it's a single stack, It's my first AK and will be fun. I know Zastava makes some great stuff, so I will post pics and range report when I get it. For $345 I couldn't go wrong.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
Got my new Zastava PAP Wednesday and took it to the range today. I am very pleased with the accuracy, fit, finish and functionality. I noticed no trigger slap common to the WASR 10 type AK's with the original trigger group. I don't think this gun has been modded with a Tapco trigger. I am no AK expert as this is my first but I couldn't be happier for the money. The first shot on the target at 50yrds. was low and then I adjusted sights. I shot from the bench off my shooting bag. The ammo was American Eagle red box 124gr FMJ if I remember correctly. I also shot some Wolf in it because, it's an inexpensive AK. It all shot and extracted fine. The trigger pull is fine, it's no SIG of course, but I definitely understand the similarity in bolt design between the two. I can see why people love AK's now. Out to 200yrds it would be very effective from an accuracy standpoint. The more different weapons I shoot, the more I realize how much I don't miss my AR. I think just because it's American made, people think it's better than it is. It's a loyalty thing. They are accurate and perform great when you are able to maintain them, but I wouldn't trade my SIG for one in a million years. If your in the market for an AK, and don't care about high capacity, IMHO I don't think you can go wrong with this rifle. I will buy another to tweak on later in 2011. Sorry about the blurry cell pic. :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Re:

Muad-dib said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I bought the Arsenal Saiga SGL 31. I am pleased and this thing, with iron sights, is as accurate as I could hope for; much more so than my AK-47. I will say that the US made parts disappointed me. They were painted and so lost a lot of their black on the first cleaning. My compensator looks like it has mange, part bare metal and part black. Also, compared to my Chinese '47, there is no rattle or looseness to be found. I now have a great range gun that will not break the bank on ammo. I got >2K rounds the week after I bought it for less than $300. Though, 5.56 NATO is coming down so maybe the SIG 556 will start seeing more time at the range.
Yeah, that paint and finish is Arsenal's dirty little secret that's not so secret.

Double-check that you have the chrome-lined barrel like is in my $200.00 WASR2; that surplus 5.45x39 will rust the air that you breath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Re: Re:

nfafan said:
Muad-dib said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I bought the Arsenal Saiga SGL 31. I am pleased and this thing, with iron sights, is as accurate as I could hope for; much more so than my AK-47. I will say that the US made parts disappointed me. They were painted and so lost a lot of their black on the first cleaning. My compensator looks like it has mange, part bare metal and part black. Also, compared to my Chinese '47, there is no rattle or looseness to be found. I now have a great range gun that will not break the bank on ammo. I got >2K rounds the week after I bought it for less than $300. Though, 5.56 NATO is coming down so maybe the SIG 556 will start seeing more time at the range.
Yeah, that paint and finish is Arsenal's dirty little secret that's not so secret.

Double-check that you have the chrome-lined barrel like is in my $200.00 WASR2; that surplus 5.45x39 will rust the air that you breath.
So what you're saying is....your $200 WASR2 is better than an Arsenal rifle?

Curious where you bought a WASR2 for $200 recently...I'd be interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Re: Re:

nfafan said:
[Double-check that you have the chrome-lined barrel like is in my $200.00 WASR2; that surplus 5.45x39 will rust the air that you breath.
Just spray it out with WD-40 after you're done at the range, you will have no trouble with rust(even without a chrome lined barrel)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top