SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in removing the A2 style front sight on my AR and replacing it with a gas block, possibly one with a rail located on top like the one below.

After watching the video in the link below on how to do the swap I have some questions. I already installed a Daniel Defense Omega free float rail and tightened the screws down with blue Loctite. I REALLY do not want to remove the rail to install the new gas block. Is this possible?

I noticed in the video that the guy removed the gas tube. Can I just leave it in place...sliding the A2 sight off and replacing it with the new gas block?

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-chang ... 7095/view/

Also, since I no longer need the to hold plastic handguards in place...can I remove the handguard cap located right behind the front sight?

Lastly...when I install a flip-up front sight....should I mount it to the very front of the Daniel Defense rail OR on top of the gas block?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Aaron said:
I'm interested in removing the A2 style front sight on my AR and replacing it with a gas block, possibly one with a rail located on top like the one below.

After watching the video in the link below on how to do the swap I have some questions. I already installed a Daniel Defense Omega free float rail and tightened the screws down with blue Loctite. I REALLY do not want to remove the rail to install the new gas block. Is this possible?

I noticed in the video that the guy removed the gas tube. Can I just leave it in place...sliding the A2 sight off and replacing it with the new gas block?

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-chang ... 7095/view/

Also, since I no longer need the to hold plastic handguards in place...can I remove the handguard cap located right behind the front sight?

Lastly...when I install a flip-up front sight....should I mount it to the very front of the Daniel Defense rail OR on top of the gas block?
I can't speak to the Daniel Defense tube, but after removing the two pins that secure the block to the barrel and the pin that retains the gas tube to the block, you can leave the gas tube hanging inside the upper receiver as it is not retained mechanically on that side of the tube (it may follow the block forward though since there is a tighter tolerance between the tube and the block than the tube and the receiver). Hand guard ring will slide off after the block is removed-the block is the retainer for it.

So simple, even a cave man can do it! (Apologies to any Neanderthals reading)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts