SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum today but I've had a SIG 556 SWAT for a few years now, that I bought used. I don't know a ton about it other than it's a blast to shoot, in the 14K serial range, and weighs half a metric ton. Despite the weight, it's one of my favorite rifles but I'd still love to find a way to reduce the weight on the front end. My guess is the handguard needs to get swapped. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Taylor

SIG 556.jpeg

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are other rails, but you're not going to save much weight. Samson made one, and Sig made one different than the one you already have. Neither reduce the weight noticeably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are other rails, but you're not going to save much weight. Samson made one, and Sig made one different than the one you already have. Neither reduce the weight noticeably.
Ahhh gotcha. So I need to go with the polymer if I want to drop any real weight off the rifle? Are those still around and available?

Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Swiss 551 handguards are always available, and just require a simple shim in the gas block for proper fitment. Factory 556 handguards can be trickier to find, but some members on here may have some they're willing to sell, if they went the 551 route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swiss 551 handguards are always available, and just require a simple shim in the gas block for proper fitment. Factory 556 handguards can be trickier to find, but some members on here may have some they're willing to sell, if they went the 551 route.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a set of the hand guards. Is the non-adjustable folding stock from the 551 also compatible with the 556?

·
Registered
521 Posts
The non-adjustable stock is compatible. Your top rail is part of your handguard? If so, you will need a top rail. I have one I can sell you for $15 shipped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The non-adjustable stock is compatible. Your top rail is part of your handguard? If so, you will need a top rail. I have one I can sell you for $15 shipped.
Yes, the top rail is part of the handguard on this one. I just ordered the stock and would love to take you up on the rail as well. I'll PM you to figure that out. Thanks again for all the help on this!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts