556 Rear Sling Loop Blanking Plate? | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

556 Rear Sling Loop Blanking Plate?

Discussion in 'Slings, Lights, & Other Accessories' started by shoobe01, Jun 16, 2019.

1. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

I removed the sling loop at the rear of the receiver, like this:
    2019-06-16-09.08.02.jpg

Because I got the MFI rail/sight thing and it has a more authentic-looking loop, but I also will likely never use it. Double loops seemed dumb, and the factory one is a bit sharp so if I crawled up on the sight, it would poke me uncomfortably in the nose.

So, now I have a square hole in the gun.
    2019-06-16-09.09.06.jpg

By any chance does anyone make a blanking plate I can screw in to fill this gap? Yeah, I could make one, or ignore it, but if easy to just get, I might.

2. dgrbr13

dgrbr13 New Member

Flip it and use the loop on opposite side.

3. Duffman0286

Duffman0286 New Member

I think the market for these parts in the US almost non existent... I would say you might have to make your own like you said.... but im glad you brought this up i might think about doing the same once i get my mfi dipoters bought... You dont have a picture of them install do you?

4. dgrbr13

dgrbr13 New Member

If you attach a sling to the mfi loop, the finish will come off very quickly.

5. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

No... I am better at photographing process than complete stuff. And now, it's 1200 miles away. But I'll try to recall when I get back.

I was not gonna use that loop, currently have one around the back of the stock but may mount through the stock sling loop instead sometime.

Anyway, yes I get that the MFI stuff is a lookalike. It looks very good though. I also have some tritium on the way so was gonna drill out (or remove?) the fiber bits and put the tritium in, make it look / act even more authentic. But, I know.

6. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

Went to the range today. Got some photos before the rain came if you want to see the MFI sights/rail.
    2019-07-05 08.35.32.jpg 2019-07-05 08.35.40.jpg 2019-07-05 08.35.37.jpg

Easy to shoot well, at least as easy as I can handle it with my old eyes. Gonna add an RDS sometime soon here. Springs are a bit weak, so it could move about, I'll make sure to inspect periodically.

Unless I am badly misreading, elevation at least is backwards from the original? Elevation screw was also inserted, but not bearing on anything. Sight was bottomed out, so took a minute to figure that out and get the elevation zeroing right. In the photos above, the screw is WAY higher than when it's zeroed right. No threads are visible now.

I did also fill the witness marks for the front sight, did most windage adjustment up there. Was pretty easy to do that and seems secure.
    2019-07-05 09.08.16.jpg

Tritium arrived in the mail while I was out, so sometime (could be years, SO many projects) I'll drill out the fiber, glue tritium into those so I have night sights. Likely to also then paint/cover the sides of the fiber as I don't much like them as day glowy sights (too big), and they should look that much more original then.

Attached Files:

7. dgrbr13

dgrbr13 New Member

How did the 556 upper work out with that 551 lower?
    Any issues?
    Fitment ok?

8. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

Perfect. Runs like a top. Could hardly be happier if it was an all Swiss purpose built gun, and the price is... well, not cheap, but low enough I am not annoyed I spent so much on it, or mind actually taking it out and shooting it, so maybe happier than if I had spent 4x as much.

Now, I didn't put them together (bought it as a kit full of spares like the 556 lower, many of which I will likely sell) so I hear you have to file something to make the mag clear or something when mating the 551 lower to the 556 upper. But if true, then someone else did it and I see no filing marks anywhere.

9. Mr.Maim

Mr.Maim New Member

I have a couple questions about the MFI sight set from your comments. I am new to the SIG 556 (I have a 556 factory SBR) and have been looking at the MFI sight sets but, have read more bad than good comments about them when they first came out, then SIG killed the 556 rifles and comments dropped off. Also curious about the tritium inserts you got.

Three questions for ya!

1) You wrote:
    "Springs are a bit weak, so it could move about, I'll make sure to inspect periodically."

Q: Are you talking about the springs on the rear sight that push the aperature drum up and down, the spring in the ball detent that holds the aperature drum from rotating, or something else?​

2) You wrote:
    "Elevation screw was also inserted, but not bearing on anything. Sight was bottomed out, so took a minute to figure that out and get the elevation zeroing right. In the photos above, the screw is WAY higher than when it's zeroed right. No threads are visible now."

Q: This wasn't a problem, you're just mentioning it, correct?​

3) Q: Lastly, where did you get your tritium inserts?
    Thanks and great looking rifle!

10. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

Springs: The detent, so it's easy to bump in transit, find it halfway between 100 and 200, say.

The elevation screw is not a permanent issue, but a good note for anyone else that the sight may not be centered up when you get it. We're used to, I think, sights being at center and we move them up/down or left/right as needed.

Got tritium off eBay. Picked a good looking seller and it worked. In the distant past I could get them from CPF, but for years, random eBay sellers who come and go have worked. Good stuff, never get ripped off.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Mr.Maim likes this.
  11. Mr.Maim

Mr.Maim New Member

Thanks for the replies regarding the spring detent and the elevation screw.

The reason I asked about your tritium source is that the fiber optic inserts in the rear diopter appear to be 3mm in length and I can't find anything shorter than 6mm. No matter, I've talked myself out of it anyhow. :rolleyes:

12. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

My tritium is nominal (I am not measuring them now) 1.5x6mm also. They seem to fit but... I did only do the front one. Maybe they will stick out when I do the rears, now you tell me; I hadn't somehow thought to measure those. That may not work so well then.

They used to sell little hockey puck disk things. Dimmer, but great for rears. Like 2 mm across, 1 mm deep. Glue them straight to detents in rifle sights like this. They seem to no longer exist, sadly.

13. Mr.Maim

Mr.Maim New Member

This precisely. I can't seem to find anything other than the 1.5mm x 6mm (and really long ones) and I am positive there used to be sellers that had tritium balls, disks, and shorter tubes. Can't find them anywhere now.

EDIT: Found some: 0.95mm x 3mm

T13 0.95x3mm Vials

shoobe01 likes this.
  14. shoobe01

shoobe01 New Member

Good googling!

15. Mr.Maim

Mr.Maim New Member

LOL! Yeah, pretty much. :D