SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm planning on buying a sig 556 soon and have been scouring the internet for deals. I keep running across tons of different models, and I am unsure about which ones will suit my intended purpose. I am looking for one that will accept the buffer tubes so I can change the buttstock to one available for AR-15's. My understanding is that I can do that with the standard models. I am unsure which models are included. I have noticed that there seem to be two styles of lowers. The older one looks like it has a small latch at the front, near the handguard. I have never seen one of these in person. The newer one looks more plain and does not have the two raised lines above the magwell.

Here's my question: I have seen several rifles that have the older style lower, but they also have a collapsible/ FOLDING stock. This folding stock looks much different than the newer classic folding stock. Will the older folding stock models work for me? The model numbers I am looking at are:

Can anyone tell me the difference in these models? It looks like the 5, 6, and 7 all have non-folding stocks, but since I will be changing out the stock eventually anyway, will the 3, 4 and 14 be able to accept the same stocks? Are there differences in the iron sights on these models?

Thanks for the help on this. I hope to be the proud new owner of one of these babies in the next couple of weeks, so any help you can offer to get me the rifle I want would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It was my understanding, although I could certainly be wrong, that Sig doesn't make the M4 style 556's anymore. I thought they were all "Classic's". I personally don't like the Classic stock and am very glad I got my M4 style 556 before the change over.

I don't know the different number designations but if you plan to change the stock anyway then get a non-folder and save the money. My version is the 556007 "Holo" but that sight sucks and is being replaced with an Eotech.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Models

Go to Sig Sauer . com they list all of the model numbers.
Just yesterday I was at Academy and I was surprise to see the prices on the sigs. For 1200.00 you can get a Sig with the al hand guard, sliding stock and the dop rear site. The Sig Classic was still at the 1800.00 mark . I can not believe the one with the al hand gusrd was cheaper that the one with the plastic fore end. Is thia a mistake?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up ordering the 556014. Hopefully it will be what I am looking for, and I have my fingers crossed that I won't have any of the bolt issues that some of them are having. I ordered it online, and I will probably pick it up Friday or Monday.

Is there anything else I should look for before I sign the transfer? If there are flaws that are common and easily spotted, that would help me, as the dealer that I bought it from says once I sign the transfer papers I can't return it without taking a hit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it this week. I had a chance to shoot 80 rounds so far. No problems. Best group so far was 3 shots into 2.3" at 100 yards using Federal 100 rd 55gr bulk pack from walmart. My biggest problem was with my optics. I mounted a Leupold vari X3 1.5-5x in Burris XTR low rings. They are just too low. I can't get my line of sight down enough to get a good, consistent cheek weld. I may try higher rings, but I think I will eventually go with an aimpoint or eotech.

As a bonus, the 556014 model comes with the vertical fore-grip with light and laser. I haven't tried it yet at the range.

Post-shooting inspection showed no wear on the bolt carrier spot. Overall finish on the bolt carrier was not the best, but it seems to have had no ill effects.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ben said:
Here's a chart I created a while back on the differences between the ER models. This was before the Classic came out, but it has most of the info you're looking for.
The SIG556014 isn't listed, but it looks like it's a 556006, only with the newer front hooded sight instead of the flip down.
http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=2765&highlight=
This is a very helpful chart, thanks! Is there a chart for the pistol models and classic lower models?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts