556 Match trigger kit now available | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

556 Match trigger kit now available

Discussion in 'New Products' started by ShootingSight, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ShootingSight

ShootingSight Member Supporting Vendor

ShootingSight is proud to introduce the match trigger kit for the 556.

The kit includes a new hammer, a new hammer spring, a new sear, and a new sear spring.

Key benefits include:

Hammer and sear are made from tool steel that is full depth hard, so sharp sear edges will hold up to deliver glass like hammer break for years.

Annoying 1st stage slack is eliminated, so you have a real 2 stage trigger instead of the 3 stage feel.

Hammer and sear have low friction, corrosion resistant, high hardness surface coating, so trigger feels smooth, even when run with no lube.

As a result, second stage creep can be reduced, so felt travel between second stage and hammer release is almost zero, for a true match trigger performance.

Entire kit is drop-in parts, no modifications required.

Cost is $ 135 delivered in the US. PayPal and checks accepted.

Art

2. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 New Member

Ordered mine this morning.

3. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

Me too.. :!:

4. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

A friend wants to know if these Match Triggers sets will fit the 7.62X39mm 556R? :?:

5. ShootingSight

I just responded to an email on that - I don't know. Someone on the forum indicated that the hammer spring on the 556R was different from the hammer spring on the 556. If true it means something is different, and the trigger might not work.

My kit comes with a new hammer spring that I had to make custom, because the base on my trigger is wider than the base of the stock trigger.

I anticipate talking to SIG about this trigger in the next week or two, so I will ask the question on what the difference is with a 556R.

Art

6. fao

fao New Member

The hammer spring on the 556R is heavier than the 556 so that the steel cased Russian ammo, with their hard primers, will shoot. This is one of the fixes that Sig made on the 556R last spring. I have both the 556 and the 556R, when I pull the charging handle, I can feel the difference between the two. The 556R is harder.

7. ShootingSight

Very interesting. Actual ignition energy is a function of how much energy is in the hammer, and how efficiently is it transferred to the firing pin. I did not actually run the calculations to see if I was transferring energy the most efficiently possible, I just ran the calcualtions to see if I was transferring as efficiently as SIGs hammer. I'll revisit the subject in the next months to see if a simple change in the system can make one trigger work for both systems.

Sounds like my triggers will fit the 556R, but if you have hard primer ammo there might be an ignition issue.

Art

8. shotdown61

shotdown61 Active Member

Any chance you can post a link for the trigger?
    Tried to go to your site and would not let me go.Its like it started to but said could not find?

9. ShootingSight

My web site is:

http://www.shootingsight.com

However there is no trigger info there yet. I'm working on updating the web site, but at this point, the only way to buy these is through direct email with me.

I do have a draft of the installation instructions posted, so you can see what parts you are getting. http://www.shootingsight.com/SIGinstall.pdf

Art

10. shotdown61

shotdown61 Active Member

Will it have the same pounds of trigger pull that the stock has or will it be a lighter trigger pull.

11. ShootingSight

Same.

For liability reasons, I decided against lightening the trigger pull weight. My trigger gets rid of the pre-first stage slack to make it a 2 stage trigger, instead of the 3 stage it is today, and my sharp sear edges make the transition from trigger engaged to hammer released a sharp transition, typically allowing you to tune your pressure point for the second stage.

There is a member, scaramanga, if I recall that does supply lighter spring kits, but they are not included in the kit I sell.

Art

12. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

I received my Match Trigger in the US Mail today and will work on installing it into one of my 556s this coming weekend and report how it goes.

Definitely a high quality machined precision trigger mechanism :idea:

13. SpeedQuest

SpeedQuest Member

Art,

I do website design... Maybe there's a trade waiting to happen here? :)

14. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

I installed Art's Match Trigger into my newer 556 today, took me about an hour mostly due to my crummy working vision from my bifocals.

First, the parts I received we extremely well engineered and looked first class, both the trigger replacement sear and the entire hammer & spring assembly were very nicely machined.

There were no problems with the installation, everything fit perfect and was a straightforward install.

The entire hammer and hammer spring was completely replaced with the new Match Grade hammer spring assembly, this went in without any problem.

The trigger sear was completely replaced with Art's much better engineered trigger sear. The OEM sear had a cheesy plastic spacer part that I was glad to see go and Art's new sear was designed not to use any plastic spacer. The ShootingSight sear and spring assembly also fit in perfectly and I had the rifle reassembled in a matter of minutes once I completed the sear installation.

I set the second stage pressure plunger to 1.5mm and dry fired the new trigger sear and hammer a couple of dozen times.

I have about a 1.5mm takeup and then contact with the second stage and then bang.

I will be ordering this kit for my other SIG 556 to install same as I much prefer Art's Match Grade Trigger Sear and Hammer.

Thanks a bunch for working this up for us Art and very nice job you did too! :D

Pic of assembly prior to installing of the custom ShootingSight Hammer and Trigger Group:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ShootingSight

Thanks. That represents three years in the making, so I am absolutely delighted to get it out there.

16. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

It is apparent the work you put into this Art just by looking at and using it.

I have not shot a target with it yet as I am going hog and coyote hunting with it tonight and do not want to scare everything out of the back 40.

Tomorrow, when I get a chance, I'll target practice with it @ 100 yards.... :D

17. GalilMAR

GalilMAR New Member

That sounds great, thanks for posting the review skypup. I'm going to have to pick one up. The take up on the factory trigger on mine seems really long. 1.5mm sounds like the perfect amount. The parts do look top quality and that they dropped right in is a huge plus.

Thanks for the review, and thanks to Shooting Sight for looking out for us Sig fans. Your hard work is appreciated and I am looking forward to trying the trigger out.

18. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

I just ordered another one for my other 556, it is a nice improvement over the OEM set.

19. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 New Member

I got mine while I was out of town, took rifle and kit to Gunsmith friend installed it in about 30-45 mins and man is it nice, a job well done and this was installed in my 551A1.

Thanks
    CB

20. ShootingSight

I talked to SIG this morning, and confirmed that the trigger components of the 556 and the 551 are identical, so this kit will fit a 551 as well.